HELP! Tosion axle problem

Kingair

Recruit
I just had the spring axle replaced on my single axle boat trailer with a torsion axle. My boat it a 19 ft sea pro. After I got home from the dealer I noticed that I have about 1/2 clearance between the top of my tires and the underside of the tire fenders. The torsion axle arm is level or in the "full load" position just sitting on the trailer. What do I need to do to fix this? Any help or direction is greatly appreciated.

sjb1962

Recruit
The dealer may have installed an axle with the wrong degree angle on the trailing arm. Tricky stuff if you don't know what your doing...

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Take it back to where the work was done with the boat loaded on it so they can see what it looks like.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Take it back to where the work was done with the boat loaded on it so they can see what it looks like.

Big time eccoh to what T Herrod said....... take it back! a torsion application may not be the best.. put new springs on....install the axle under the springs (not over) for maximum tire/fender clearance... On the new 3500lb axle I installed last year, under load, ive got got 5-6 inches clearance from top of tires to fender ceiling. Or, you could always take the fenders off and move them,, that of course could lead to issues not having enough room from the top of the fenders to the bottom of the boat (if there is overhang of the boat).....sorry this happened to you.......

Alan Lloys

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The dealer may have installed an axle with the wrong degree angle on the trailing arm. Tricky stuff if you don't know what your doing...
X3 !!

If you paid for this they should make it right for you.
There are many different kinds of torsion axles with starting angles from 45 degrees below to 15 degrees above.
Sounds like they got the wrong one.

Some of the newest torsion axles have a removable trailing arm that is splined so you can set it at whichever starting angle you desire.
Note that when you have a torsion axle it is important that the trailer is level when being towed. The torsion axles are pretty sensitive to this.
If the tongue is too high up you will put additional pressure on the torsion bar.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Some of the newest torsion axles have a removable trailing arm that is splined so you can set it at whichever starting angle you desire.
Note that when you have a torsion axle it is important that the trailer is level when being towed. The torsion axles are pretty sensitive to this.
If the tongue is too high up you will put additional pressure on the torsion bar.

That isn't really that important for a single axle trailer. Tandems though, you have to make sure those are set up absolutely correctly.