Help taking off power head 1974 85hp

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am trying to take off the powerhead on my Johnson, but it doesnt budge. I followed the manual in terms of bolts-- I took out the 8 bolts and four nuts. I tried to move it, it doesnt budge. I dont know where to hit or to pry. I fried to crane it, but the whole thing gets picked up. What do I do? Also another question: how do you hold the flywheel still while undoing the monster nut?<br />Thanks in advance.

D

DJ

Re: Help taking off power head 1974 85hp

vegard,<br /><br />Your driveshaft may be stuck in the crankshaft. Can you remove the lower unit? If not, that is you problem.<br /><br />You need a flywheel wrench. Mine is basicall a big strap with a handle. It sort of looks like a big oil filter wrench.

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My driveshaft is not stuck. I had the LU off not very long ago, and that dropped right off. I got the stator off (borrowed an impact wrench). I guess theres a gasket that Im breaking to get this off, right?

Paul Moir

Admiral

Yes, there is a gasket. Sometimes gentle persuasion helps. <br />You'll need the flywheel holder to torque the flywheel nut when you put it back on.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Is the lower unit off now? If not, is the shift disconnected?

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got it. The combination of a crane, and a crowbar took care of business. now I have almost everything apart and ready to strip and paint. THe last dissasembly is the transom bracket/midsection. I have a few stubborn bolts there. I already have a few places I need to throw in some heli-coils so Im not too worried. Thanks for the advice.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Great! Keep us posted.<br /><br />Good luck!