help.........Starter sulinoid?????!!!!!

mjestey2000

Cadet
Hi, Just got done rebuilding my engine and to my suprise it started!! :) However after a bit of fine tuning (and running fine) I took it down to the ramp for a test run and it was hard to start and then there was a buzz and a crackle. Sounded electric and then I had nothing. No power at all. Turns out the battery just fried. basically brand new fully charged marine battery. Hooked up another battery and still nothing. HELP!! What the heck could it be? What would kill a new battery and blow no fuses? Oh when I turned off the switch once the starter kept running. Engine is a 150 evinrude 1988.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: help.........Starter sulinoid?????!!!!!

Howdy, Novice.<br /><br />Your solenoid could have come apart inside, shorting the battery right to the block.<br /><br />You need to do some electrical troubleshooting.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

mjestey2001

Cadet
Re: help.........Starter sulinoid?????!!!!!

Thanks, turns out it was the power cords from the battery that fried. Never heard of it happening before but it did. Now I have another problem with the power pack. I accidentally pulled out the wires leading to the plug from the strator to the power pack. Now that I have fixed the power problem, the engine will just turn over for a bit then stop and start turning over again. Also black gunk is coming out of the exaust. THe wires weren't color coded so mating them is difficult. Any suggestions and do you think that it is the power pack that has now shorted out? Thanks!