Help SS prop change

Sooner44

Seaman
2005 3.0L Volva/Penta 17.5 ft Glastron:<br /><br />Put the boat in the water for the first time, with the new prop. My old (original) prop was a 14 1/4 X 21 Volvo, I installed a 14 X 21 SS MW Appollo XHS. One thing I noticed different from the Aluminum prop was that the new SS prop seemed to cavitate earlier when trimming up once planned out. My aluminum prop would run 1/2 way on the trim guage with no problem, this new SS prop wants to cavitate between the 1/4 & 1/2 mark on the guage. I'm not sure if I'm trimming too soon, or there is that much difference in these two props. Can you cause cavitation trimming up too soon, when planing out ???? SS prop have more bite ????<br /><br />Any advice on this issue would be appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help SS prop change

I had the exact same experience when I tried the Ballistic, from Michigan Wheel also, changing from the standard Black Max alu. Although quite fast, the Ballistic would suck air and spin whenever I trimmed too far out, went over a wave or took a sharp turn. <br /><br />I then tried a Turbo prop and it was great. It didn't ventilate nearly as easily. I could trim this one far further out, and it kept its' grip in turns and waves like anything.<br /><br />However, I ordered the wrong pitch so I sold it again, and am waiting to try out both a 4-blade Turbo and a 3-blade Stiletto, both recommended to me by the experts here at iboats.<br /><br />It seems props are very different, and you've just got to keep trying them out until you find one that fits your boat.

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

have 17 ft bass boat 120 hp outboard 14 by 25 ouicksilver comes out of water good dont have run as much trim as old prop 13 1/2 23.everyone says thats normal go to prop doc.they can make any prop you want.people have had good luck doing this.

Sooner44

Seaman

Well, looks like there's a big difference in these two props. It's going to take some getting used to I guess. Hole shot with the SS prop seems better, top end speed is about the same. 43 mph @ 4500 rpm. I'm looking for some feedback from those of you who have replaced your Alum prop with a SS prop. Did you notice the difference in the ability to trim higher with the Alum prop, vs the SS prop ? Cruising trim angle, and ventilation when trimming to soon out of the hole ??

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I changed from an alu prop to a Stiletto s/s, and I have found that the Stiletto is superior both in holeshot and general sensitivity to throttle.<br /><br />But ... it ventilates more readily than the old prop with trimming out. I have also increased speed by raising the motor (not an easy option on an I/O), and if I'm not careful with trim, it will ventilate when I'm running fast over chop.<br /><br />Seems to be a trade-off. I've got used to the characteristics and know what to expect. Overall I'm well pleased with the change.

Sooner44

Seaman

Thanks for the response, This kind of feedback makes me feel more comfortable with the SS replacement.

vipzach

Lieutenant

Hey sooner, I have a SS Rapture 17p prop, it has a great hole shot, but only 35 mph at 4500 rpm's, I really am thinking about trying a 19p prop to see how it does. I just don't want to throw money at it and gain nothing. Damn props! What lake do you usually go to around here? Just to mess with you and your name.........Go Cowboys!!!!!!!

Sooner44

Seaman

Usually go to Eufaula, I got a trailer on the lake there. It's far enough south I can escape all the routy Cowboy fans. Hey Vip, did you notice a difference between a SS prop and Alum prop the first time you changed ??<br /><br />BOOMER SOONER

vipzach

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Sooner44:<br /> <br /><br />BOOMER SOONER
BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :D :p <br />When I bought my boat, iy already had the stainless prop on it. I know you would notice I difference though, because the SS won't flex like the Al. <br />I haven't been down to eufala, my new favorite lake is Murray, but we usually go to Arcadia.

Sooner44

Seaman

I used to go to Murry all the time, Seems too little on holiday weekends, Try the "Sleeeping Giant" sometime, you will love Eufaula. On the south end, I can boat all weekend and not see more the 20 boats.