Everything perfect.
While cruising it suddenly shuts off.
Cranks right up.....Without hesitation.
Frustrating....
Help!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Help solve mystery problem..

had a rude that did that, it was the power pack statrting to fail, merc has a different name for it.

ricksrster

Commander

called a switch box. but it could be loose or broken wires. Stator or other things.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

PTS, It would be helpful if you posted the year of the motor. Different years had different ignition systems, and therefore different failure modes.

My '77 Merc 150 will cut out if the fuel pump cannot keep up with the fuel demand of the motor. It also cuts out if the power from the ignition switch to the switchbox is interrupted.

tsgarbi

Seaman Apprentice

Chris1956 said:
PTS, It would be helpful if you posted the year of the motor. Different years had different ignition systems, and therefore different failure modes.

My '77 Merc 150 will cut out if the fuel pump cannot keep up with the fuel demand of the motor. It also cuts out if the power from the ignition switch to the switchbox is interrupted.

It is a 1996 Mercury Black max
Serial # 0G1811260
Model# 1150413RD
tHANK YOU

alana

Seaman

look at the simple things first.loose wire on ignition switch or cutout switch. i had same thing years ago pulled all the wireing apart and it was the cutout all the time. [ i learn from my mistakes and i am still learning]