Help Replacing Pull Cord on 4HP Lightwin

Fester

Seaman
I just tried to test my motor to make sure it runs for my next trip and it seems that the pull cord is completed rotted and falling apart. Can anyone advise me how hard it is replcing this myself? And how long it should take. Thanks in advance!

Also, does anyone know if I can us a lawn mower pull cable?

Xcusme

Commander
Re: Help Replacing Pull Cord on 4HP Lightwin

Finding the right pull cord material is as easy as a visit to your local BRP service department. The tricky part is not getting hurt by letting the spring loose while under tension, that spring can blind you (WEAR EYE PROTECTION).
The safest way is to follow the service manual's destructions on replacement procedures.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what year is the 4 HP or model #, procedure depends on which recoil you have top or side recoil.

Rick.

Captain

If it's a side pull I know it is possible to replace the cord without uncoiling the spring. The cord 1/8 in. diam. and 64 in. long. If it's giving you any other trouble at all I would recommend pulling the spring out and giving the whole assembly a good cleaning and a re-grease. Although I did it once without a manual I would strongly suggest you wait until you get the service manual as it gives a great method for re-tensioning the spring. Rick.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

I'd say avoid releasing the spring. Its like a caged tiger in there waiting for someone to open the door. Nearly as difficult to entice back in as well.

If the existing cord is still intact you should be able to pull it out fully, jam the recoil, change the cord, cut it to the length of the original and let it gently wind in..

Looked at but not done one of the side recoil types. Let the spring escape from a top fitting type!

If its already broken you need to know how far to pre-tension the spring before fitting the new one