Help removing drive shaft, bearing housing

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a '92 Johnson 48 SPL and am trying :rolleyes: to reseal the lower unit. I have the unit off, prop shaft bearing carrier out, waterpump assembly out but can not for the life of me get the bearing carrier housing on the drive shaft out. I already have the nut off the bottom of the shaft and have heated it, beat on it, sprayed it with PB...it just won't budge. The motor was used in salt water prior to me owning it. <br /><br />I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice to get this apart? :confused: I asked at the local shop and his only suggestion was "fire wrench!! (torches)..which we've been doing. Right now, my brother has the unit right now...the plan is to fit 2-3 collars on the drive shaft itself and use a multi-ton press to "pull" it out. :eek: <br /><br />Any and all suggestions welcome and appreciated!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help removing drive shaft, bearing housing

Have the shifter dog in neutral so that it's centered right under the driveshaft threads.<br /><br />Insert a large screwdriver with a thick flat wide blade between the driveshaft and the dog. Tap it in until it has taken up all existing play.<br /><br />Hold a 2x4 or some such piece of wood up against the bottom of the propshaft, close as possible to the lower unit housing.<br /><br />Now, with a good size hefty mallet or hammer, belt that piece of wood upwards. That should release the driveshaft's grip on the pinion gear and at the same time jar that bearing/seal housing upwards.

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help removing drive shaft, bearing housing

Thanks for the reply....I'll be giving that a try tonight. I won't be back on the board until tomorrow morning, but any other suggestions are more than welcome!! (This thing is killing me)