Help - removing carb on mid 70's 4.5 HP

groovy.dude

Cadet
I have a mid 70's 4.5 HP mercury outboard for a small fishing boat. It doesn't idle well. I would like to attempt to clean the carb myself, but I am having trouble removing it. I pulled apart what I think is the float bowl right beside the carb, and was able to get the nuts off off the carb that attach it to the motor. But I can't slide the carb back far enough to remove it. It runs into where the choke lever is. Does anybody have any simple suggestions for me. I have worked lots on snowmobile & other small engine carbs, but boats motors are new to me.<br /><br />Thanks

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Help - removing carb on mid 70's 4.5 HP

Hi GD,<br /> You'll need to pop the choke lever off. It's kind of a push and twist deal to release it...<br /><br />- Scott

Laddies

Banned

You need to remove the choke lever, it works like a zeus fastener push the outside lever and shaft in to release it and turn it 1/4 turn to remove it--Bob

groovy.dude

Cadet

Thanks I will try that. I was afraid I would break something last night if I pryed too hard.

groovy.dude

Cadet

I tried it last night and it was easy once I knew what to do. It turns out that my carbs were relatively clean, but the gas line right below it was rotten which would explain a lot of things. If anybody has any suggestions about other maintenance things to check out, I would like to hear. I cleaned the carb, will be replacing the little fuel line that connect the carb to the gas connector, and I checked the oil in the little gear box by the prop which was nice & clean(I actually expected to see some water in the oil)<br /><br />Thanks Again