Help Reading Depth Finder/Fish Finder

Scout Sport Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not realy sure where I should have put this thread. But can somone post maybe a good explination of what everything going on, on the screen is? I mean Ive learned to read mine "ok" but for all I know I could be completely mis interupting it. Pictures would be a plus! I bet im not the only one here so fall in!

Bigjohn1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help Reading Depth Finder/Fish Finder

Gotta be a bit more specific than that - what parts of the display are baffling you? the colors? the lines? etc?

Scout Sport Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

X125_screen.jpg

Well I think my fish finder is messed up beause it dose not look like any of the screen shots I saw. Im guessing the line where it turns from dead black to specaled grey is where the water meets the bottom? And the more dark the bottom is (well I guess the more lighter it is in this case) means a higher density. A white bottom would suggest rock or compacted clay? And a sandy or muddy bottom would be like the one showen in the picture. What are the little bumps in the place I deemed as water?

skibug

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Let me try and help you out a bit. The picture you posted looks like a simulated picture when the device is in simulation mode. For one, it will probably never look that perfect. Second, the arches (bumps) in the water column are fish arches. This is the way the FF reads back a fish return.

Take a moment and literally read you FF manual. It will explain all your questions. If you don't have a manual, you can usually find one on the manufactures website.

But play around with the sensitivity settings and such. What model and brand FF are we talking about here?

Scout Sport Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Honestly I dont know what make it is. The FF looks like it was taken off an older boat and stuck on my boat (I bought mine used).

Another question, what frequecy should I use? Ill rarley see over 30 ft of water. If that makes a difference. I think it has 50 Mhz, 200 Mhz, Dual 50, and Dual 200.

Bigjohn1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In 30' of water, only use 200mHz, there is really no reason for using 50mHz in water that shallow.