Help please re. Fishing off Ft. Lauderdale

bvassel3

Petty Officer 1st Class
We are planning to attend the Miami Boat Show and then go deep-sea fishing off of the Ft. Lauderdale or Pompano Beach area for a day. We’d love to get into some sailfish, dolphin, white marlin, tuna, kingfish, and/or wahoo. The date is Feb. 19. <br /><br />Someone who lives in the area recently told me that the off-shore fishing is not as good right off Ft. Lauderdale as it is either going south to the Miami area or a little north to the Palm Beach area.<br /><br />Two questions:<br />1. Does anyone know if going somewhat north or south and then renting a charter service for the day would be better than going out of Ft. Lauderdale/Pompano Beach?<br />2. Does anyone know of a good charter service to recommend? (there will be 6 of us)<br /><br /> Thank you in advance.<br /><br />BV

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: Help please re. Fishing off Ft. Lauderdale

Give the guys at the Bahia Mar Marina in F/L a call, they are the experts down there.<br /><br />(954)764-2233

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't think it matters much where you start from, BV. <br /><br />The good Captains will go where the fish are and it is just a few minutes to the Gulf Stream and less than an hour to Palm Beach or to Miami.<br /><br />Best of luck to the group. :)

bvassel3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you.<br /><br />BV

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

BV. At this time I would say, go south... <br /><br />Reason being, sea's been very nasty as of late.. Typically the further north you go up the coast, the worse it gets, especially with the north to northeast swell thats been working all winter long.. <br /><br />Calm days are few and far between, and never occour on weekends for some strange reason.. :confused: <br /><br />Hope the seas lay down for your gang, BV... :)

Fly Rod

Commander

:) you are so right snapperbait!!!<br />And it just not the weekends!!! :rolleyes: It was very windy the whole week that I was in Marathon!!!! The happy note is that it was 80 degrees all week!!!!! ;) :cool:

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

My boat has'nt tasted salt since the first part of november, if I remember correctly.. Only the occasional splash in the lake to make sure it still runs..... :( <br /><br />The doldrums will be here soon, I hope.. :)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Hey BV.. How was the fishing?... :)

bvassel3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Snapperbait, thanks for asking...we had a great time, and caught some fish! <br /><br />The seas were moderate, 5 to 7 feet, but the day was partly sunny and about 70 degrees with a 10-12 mph wind.<br /><br />The 5 of us went out in a 31 foot center console boat with two 225 Mercury Optimax engines that ran perfectly. We used live bait and drifted in about 110 to 275 feet of water, somewhat north of Pompano Beach. The best fishing was in the 200 to 150 foot depth range. We had about 8-9 lines out...4 on one side of the boat drifted away from the boat by the current and the other 4-5 lines on the other side of the boat held out from 25 to 150 yards by using two kites.<br /><br />We caught a very nice 20+ lb. Kingfish, 5 Dolphin Fish (2 were very nice size), a beautiful African Pompano, a Bonita and a couple of Ramoras (for fun) as they came up to the boat following the chum slick. <br /><br />So it was an OK day for catching fish, but a really great day for just getting out on the water with good friends and having a LOT of fun. No one got seasick...but we did got some sunburn. Those white Utah bodies were not used to that delightful Florida sun! :cool: <br /><br />All in all...a great day!<br /><br />BV