Help please for a real greenhorn

jasper2447

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone

I have just taken the plunge and deserted outboards for a boat with a sterndrive - or at least, a hole where a sterndrive will fit and an empty engine bay !

Now, my problem is this - i know absolutely nothing about sterndrives. I may have to buy a diesel car/truck engine like a ford 2.5 OHC and marinise it.

I have lots of questions like - how does the engine connect to the sterndrive?

How do I line up the engine (height, angle, etc. to the sterndrive - which do i fit first ?

Can any engine fit any sterdrive?

So many questions

Is there a good source of basic information or a good book you can recommend like an Idiot's Guide to Fitting your First Sterndrive?

Thanks in anticipation

John B

tommays

Admiral
Re: Help please for a real greenhorn

drives and engines are built in matched sets WHILE there is some minor mix and matching that can take place it is 1000% harder than doing the same thing in a car

Generaly the powerband of a motor is matched to a gear ratio in a drive to allow it to work with a range of props that are made for that drive

While mismatched units MAY move the boat it will never work correctly and can destroy the drive or motor pretty fast if the mismatch is bad enough

Tommays

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

go look at alot of boats, engine area, find a doner boat that has everything, just don't try to put anything in, get a repower package. with an empty hull you will have alot of headaches, at least with a doner or full package it will leasen that alot

erikgreen

Captain

That web site is great!

Got anything similar for someone removing an engine? Specifically, I need to know the process for engine removal and installation, is it ok to lift by the "lift rings" on the manifolds, how to adjust the engine mounts...

Thanks,
Erik

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's called the OEM service manual Eric.

erikgreen

Captain

I've got the shop manual for the 888 drive and also for the ford 302 engine.. I didn't see it in there but I'll go look again. Is there another manual I should have?

Erik

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Start your own thread Erik, don't hijack someone elses thread with your questions.

jasper2447

Seaman Apprentice

Bond-o said:
Idiot's Guide to Fitting your First Sterndrive?

That's a really useful link - thanks for that

That'll cover Mercruisers anyways.......

Forget about OMCs,.... They're Dead,+ have been for Years.........

Volvo Might be another Option in your area.......

Can any engine fit any sterdrive?

Nope........

I am told that in UK Volvo have adapter plates to fit virtually every common engine, so that's what I might go for.