Help Please.. 1979 mercruiser 470 knocking noise

skelly

Seaman Apprentice
OK Uncovered boat after sitting all year and went over her - Ran good in driveway, (Ran Good last year , Went to boat ramp , slight miss at Idle , we motored out of the marina just fine , Went to open her up and this is when it started acting up, It was missing (Breaking Down) and a Matalic knocking noise started comming from what sounded like the rear of the engine, souned like it was low in the rear.when I backed off the throttle the noise slowley went away, the engine was Idling very rough and then cut off, I restarted the engine and, (the same thing) Let it set for about 5 min, started it back up and Idled back to the ramp with no Knock. The engine will Idle fine but misses and Knocks when under a load. My oil pressure has been around 80 PSI on the fly and around 60 PSI at Idle,This seems a bit high to me, If I had an oil blockage would this cause oil PSI reading to rise? YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE :confused: <br /><br /> No water in oil, No Smoke, Plugs look fine, use mid grade gas, Did not change oil but looked very clean-changed it last year-only took her out 4 times. Dose anyone know what this could be? THANKS -

Billnicole

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help Please.. 1979 mercruiser 470 knocking noise

Sounds like a spun bearing or a wrist pin. Thats why it was doing it under load and not in your driveway.

skelly

Seaman Apprentice

Would that explain the engine missing too?

skelly

Seaman Apprentice

OOPS I just rembered that about 3 years ago I rung off a spark plug on the rear cylinder leaving the threads in the hole. I got them out with an easy-out but could never acount for the electro that broke off, Could this have come back to HAUNT me 3 years later? or do you think It could be something els?

skelly

Seaman Apprentice

MY Problem has been resolved !!!! Its seems that the problem i had was nothing more than a valve stuck open. The wrench at my local marine repair shop said that the engine was trashed and charged 70 bucks for that , took her home and opened her up my self, took all of 2 hrs to get it right. I will be stoping by to get my 70 bucks back, you can bet your *%$ on that....................... Thanks - Skelly

rattana

Chief Petty Officer

Skelly at the end of your boating season winterize your boat and fog the engine with fogging oil. This will help to keep everything lubricated when it sits through the winter.

skelly

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Rattana - This has been a hard lesson, But a good one. thanks for the Info. BY for now......Going Fishing ** YEEEEEEHAAAA!