help picking a prop

Helpmetomcruise

Seaman Apprentice
hello everyone so I'm working on a 77 carver santa cruz it has a single screw four blade 18" prop and the threaded end of the prop shaft which is the smallest point on the shaft that the prop has to seat on. I need help determining where and what to measure in order to have the proper dimensions while searching for a prop... example, do I measure the threaded portion of the prop shaft where the retainer nuts snug down onto the prop or do I need to pull the prop and measure the specific front and back hole diameters to determine the taper or are these big old bronze props kinda universal as far as taper is considered with relation to the trailing end prop shaft diameter.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
since this is the boat you damaged the prop/shaft/rudder on. I would simply talk to the prop shop that you will need to get your shaft from and get the same prop that was on there.

Helpmetomcruise

Seaman Apprentice
since this is the boat you damaged the prop/shaft/rudder on. I would simply talk to the prop shop that you will need to get your shaft from and get the same prop that was on there.
the reason I need to learn how to measure and match the prop is because I'm trying to find a used one as the shaft and strut for the prop did not sustain any damage. I talked the owner of a boat repair shop which was located right around the corner from my place to come up to my house with his mechanic after hours and perform an inspection in exchange for me flying a sign in my front yard which borders the main highway of which his shop was invisible from. only it's been a couple years and now that I finally have a clean title for this beast in my yard... that shop has subsequently closed and I of course lost the write up with all the specifics on it for sizes and part numbers. turns out that when the prop started dragging that the slope of the ramp and our progress up it were just slow enough that it filed down the propeller and then came to rest on the rudder instead of just landing on the prop all at once