Help on finding a starter

Radeonx

Cadet
We have a 2005 Glastron SX175 and the starter went out on it last weekend. now going through the stealership they wanted about $240. I found this one on ebay however and it seems to be the right one but i would just like to make sure and check.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Volvo-Penta-inboard-3-0-4-3-5-0-5-7-7-4-L-STARTER_W0QQitemZ270411316725QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBoat_Parts_Accessories_Gear?hash=item3ef5c53df5&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A12|39%3A1|72%3A1171

This is what i found.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Help on finding a starter

if you have a auto marine rebuilder in town call them for a rebuild estimate.
"most of the time" a new set of brushes and a little clean up is all thats needed.
rob

Bondo

Staff member

now going through the stealership they wanted about $240. I found this one on ebay however and it seems to be the right one but i would just like to make sure and check.

Ayuh,... How about Right here at iboats,..??

gadget73

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought something that looked a lot like the ebay one there for my port motor, different seller though. It lasted 2 weeks before the bendix stopped throwing out and it would just go whirrrrrr. Ended up dropping the money on an OEM one on top of the $90 I spend on the junker, it cost me $300 all told, plus several hours of my time wasted changing the thing a second time. Never again. The new starboard engine got a brand new Mercruiser starter from the dealer down the road to replace the 8 year old $50 remanufacturerd truck starter that I spent 8 horrible hours installing.

I forget why I couldn't rebuild my original port starter, but I seem to remember it having something broken that wasn't worth replacing. The starboard one I melted the windings beyond salvation in a stupid moment of frustration that also involved a half bottle of vodka. Most of the time though, a rebuild is a viable option.