HELP, Old merc 4.5 questions

groovy.dude

Cadet
I am new to working on boat motors, although I have owned one and fished for the past 20+ years. <br /><br />I recently took the carb apart to get at a gas line that was leaking(At the time the boats was running). I cleaned out the carb(jet, needles), and put it back together. Now the motor doesn't run. I can start it, but even at WOT it just bogs at low RPM. I think after reading through all the other posts, I have come to the conclusion that maybe the float valve isn't seating properly and my engine is flooding. <br />If I squeeze the bulb, and gas comes out of the little hole on the float is that conclusive? I can't remember from before what happened. When pumping the gas bulb, is it supposed to fill the float bowl and then go through the overflow hole, OR is the valve supposed to shut and the gas bulb hard to squeeze?<br /><br />A coupe other questions. On the carb itself there are 2 needles, 1 on top, and 1 on the bottom. Does anybody know which one to adjust to increase the idle of the motor?<br /><br />As well when I put this motor in water there appears to be lots of gas & oil on the water surface. I don't think it is comming out of the pee hole, but I am not sure. I checked the oil in the gear down by the prop, and it doesn't have any water in it. It may have just been the excess gas/oil that was inside from the old gas line, but I am not sure. Does anybody have some suggestions for me as what to check for, and how to clean it up a little?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Scott

Laddies

Banned
Re: HELP, Old merc 4.5 questions

Sounds like the inlet valve is leaking, dirt,varnish,float level, float or linkage sticking. the needle at the top is the low speed I have not seen a 4.5 with a adjustable high speed, but guess some one could have installed one

groovy.dude

Cadet
Re: HELP, Old merc 4.5 questions

Thanks<br /><br />My guess is the linkage because I found it very tight, trying to put it all back together.<br /><br />Regarding what I should "feel" when I squeeze the gas bulb. Should I be able to squeeze until the line, pump, float bowl is full and then it should be hard to squeeze? I am assuming that gas is not supposed to run out the little hole.