HELP-No tilt or trim

MNBlizzard

Cadet
OK, so yesterday morning I looked out to see my motor which is a 2004 250 HPDI in the full up position which is not where I left it. So, this had happened one other time about 3 months ago. Then the problem just went away. This time it will not do anything. When I activate the up or down switch, the relay just clicks. Nothing to the trim motor. I have check voltages and everything looks like it checks out. I believe the trim motor is shot. Any other thoughts?

Also, how in the hell do I remove the trim motor. It has 3 allen head bolts, one which is conveniently buried. I tried with no luck to drop it out of the frame. I removed the 4 bolts from each side, drained as much fluid as I could and I still could not get it to come out the motor frame. It appears that I cannot get it to go up high enough, due either to the frame rubbing or the center piston fighting me.

MID FL CAP

Seaman Apprentice
Re: HELP-No tilt or trim

check switch at remote,it could have junk in and around contacts inside the micro switch,take it apart and carfully clean with clean rag.:cool:

MNBlizzard

Cadet
Re: HELP-No tilt or trim Z250

Re: HELP-No tilt or trim Z250

Well, not quite a year later and am finally updating everyone on the tilt/trim problem and what fixed it. After figure out how to get the tilt and trim motor out from the frame, I debated on buying a brand new one but thought I better at least look at this sucker before I throw it in the garbage.

Upon opening it, I found the one of the four brushes was stuck open which would of caused the motor to short and power up, while not allowing me to lower it. I cleaned up the brushes, holders and springs. I tested the motor directly to a 12v battery on the work bench; wallah, it powered right up. Put it all back together and it has worked flawlessly ever since.