Help!!! No Reverse

BradJFelix

Cadet
Hello Everyone I am new to this so bare with me. I have a 1960 Glastron with a 1970 Johnson 40hp engine with the hydro electric shift. My problem is with my reverse. I finally got the engine running and I got it out on the water and found out that I had no back up power. I read a few other threads and have done some tests and here is what I come up with.

When its in forward my prop is turning to the right (looking at the back of boat) when I tested the wires that I read about in another thread I had power to the green wire that heads down to the lower unit while the engine was running in Neutral so that is good.

I then put it in reverse and found that I had no power to the green wire. Okay so I have a problem somewhere which is ok. I decided that I was going to hotwire the green wire so that both the green and blue wires were powered with 12v. The prop turned but in the same direction as it did in Forward. I then decided I would put it in reverse and try hot wiring the green wire. Still the prop turned but it turned in the same direction as it did in forward.

Maybe I am a rookie at this but I would think the prop would turn in opposite directions for forward and reverse. Is there anything I am overlooking I could use any help you guys have to offer. I am trying to get it in the water for saturday with reverse. I even thought about just putting a push button power source to the green wire to use reverse but if its make the prop turn the same way then there is no point. Hope someone has an idea. Thanks a lot

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help!!! No Reverse

Are you running the motor as you do these tests? You are correct in that green is for neutral, both blue and green for reverse. But it has to be runnng.