Help! New boat owner

Ok, so I just purchased a 1958 12' aluminum v-hull, with a 1989 evinrude 9.9 converted to 15. This is my first boat ever that's mine, and could really use some tips and tricks on maintaining, repairing, and etiquette so as not to be a complete tool on the water. I've been on boats my whole life, and know how to operate, as well as being an avid fisherman. But......and it's a big but......I have never been responsible for owning one. Help a poor guy out here! Lol

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help! New boat owner

Since you've been on boat and on the water fishing most of your life, you probably already know the big things.

re:
- Wave hi to other boaters. Treat them like you want to be treated (at the ramps and on the waters).
- If someone is broken down, to stop to assist them. Just like they would stop to assist you. When I help others and reasonable assistance is provided (like a short tow back to the ramp), its no financial charge. Only helping them out - like others would help me out.
- Don't be afraid to ask for help. For example, loading your boat or confirming what emergency supplies are recommended. Others at the dock / ramps are always willing to help.
- With your onboard passengers, ensure their outing is a proactively safe and comfortable as possible. For example, bring some padding to soften up the hard seats, take them where they want to go (not where you want to go), bring drinking water, sun glasses and shade. Their comfort and safety is in your hands (being the Capitan of your own boat).
- For general maintenance and winterizing tasks, asks others with same trailer / boat configuration. Perhaps similar boats are found at loading ramps or loading docks? Take the time and talk to other Captains (of similar boat / motor). They will help.

Hope this helps..

*waves* thanks, I appreciate the advice. I will say common courtesy is very important, and I'm generally helpful by nature. I was talking about little things that sometimes evade our minds. Things when loading/unloading, not losing patience with guys who don't care if they're tools (lol) if it's not road rage, is it technically water rage? Lmao.

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class

Q

Suggest you go to the main forum section, slide down towards bottom to the Boat Restoration section. Use the filter and search for your boat model.

You will find a lot of folks that have exactly same as yours and what they went through making their boats safe. From a full restoration, a good inspection and how to fix problems.

If you post there many folks will be happy to offer some good advise.

Welcome aboard and good luck.