Help needed with Quick silver remote throttle control box please.

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, hoping some one here can help.<br />I have a Quicksilver control box, ( the one that has the square "throttle only" button on the shift lever )<br />There is a spring and a rod with one end pointed and one flat end that appears to lock the throtttle lever? It is situated at the front of the unit under a retaining plate, these 2 items fell out whilst I dismantled it and now I don't know how the are fitted correctly.Pointy end in or flat end in?<br />Hoping some one can help.<br /><br />I also have a problem with the connecting bar that connects the throttle mechanism and the gear shift mechanism plates together. There are 4 holes to choose from that it can connect to!<br />Has any one got a picture on how they correctly connect?<br />Thanks in advance

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help needed with Quick silver remote throttle control box please.

I think I have nutted out the workings of it now re the levers.<br />But I still have the problem of the locking rod that allows the use of throttle only out of gear.<br />I think I may have lost a part.<br />The rod slides in pointy end 1st, when I try to put the spring in next it gets trapped in the lever workings and ands up mangled<br /><br />I is almost like there should be another part between the spring and the rod , like a ball bearing at the end of the spring that the rod end then glides on? <br />Does any one know how this works??????<br /><br />Since the stainless steel spring is destroyed now, and mercury don't list them as a replacement part. I will have to source a spring for elsewhere.

Moody Blue

Captain

I have the same control and had to take it apart last year to do some repairs but I don't remember the specifics, sorry. Here however are a couple links to exploded diagrams that I found useful. Hope they help you out as well. <br />Note; I had to add a space after the .com/ and before the Show_pictures3.asp to get the address to display on this site. WHen you access this address be sure to eliminate the space first. <br /><br /> http://www.mercruiserparts.com/ Show_pictures3.asp?dnbr=4200091A&ivar=IMAGES/QS/42000.91A/5.png&inbr=1989&bnbr=50&bdesc=REMOTE+CONTROL+ASSY+%28W%2FPOWER+TRIM%29]remote control<br /><br /> http://www.mercruiserparts.com/ Show_pictures3.asp?dnbr=4200091A&ivar=IMAGES/QS/42000.91A/3.png&inbr=1989&bnbr=40&bdesc=MODULAR+COMPONENTS<br /><br />Good luck.

heybaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ball bearing goes into handle , then point end of rod /drive pin then spring ..<br />the "button pushes on the ball bearing ..<br />gives the "rod enough clearance to clear the handle, throttle rotate's does not rotate the rod ..that equals .disconnecting the shifter.<br /><br />Be sure not to put too stout of a spring in ..<br />makes it hard to push button ..Ask me how I know :D

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Guys for you help.<br />The pic link was a great help Hooray!!!!!<br />It appears that I am missing the ball and the stop!<br />These must have unnoticably fallen out and appear lost.<br />THE BAD NEWS IS THAT THE SPRING, BALL AND STOP ARE NOT SOLD SEPERATELY!!!!!!!!<br />Seems a bit disappointing that such small parts entail buytingf a whole assembly when everything else is able to be sourced

heybaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well sir , you can substitute a ball, and fashion a stop, I used a standard spring ( not stainless) <br />and greased it good ..probably will out last the engine .<br />good luck

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

heybaylor, yep that is what I was thinking.<br />I scrounged in my woirkshop trying to source a ball bearing from some where, but alas no such luck.<br /> Always seem to come across steel balls when you don't need 'em , but when you need one they arn't around.<br />And i don't think it is a common hardware item.

heybaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

got any old bearings in your garage ?.. bust one and see what size ball are in it

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tried the garage, seems everything I might have had that could of done the trick has been I thrown out.<br /> I did manage to make my own spring out of the piece of steel wire, but, wish I could find some stainless steal wire.<br />I did ring another outboard breaker/wrecker they might have some spares in their odds and sods.

heybaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

call a local printer/copier repairman ..<br />they carry all sizes of springs ...stainless maybe ..

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I sourced the correct parts via an outboard reconditioner.<br /> It is a Commander side mount repair kit that cantained all the springs and balls plus other parts no reco the control.<br /> part code Quicksilver 85882A1.<br /> It was the last one they had. And only $15.50 AUD.<br />Now I'm cooking with gas again! :)

heybaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

great , now you are the throttle/control expert ..<br />Im glad your up and running :)