Help needed Volvo Penta 4.3 with SX Cobra outdrive

MWBoatFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I got the new Mariah out this weekend and she ran great for about the first thirty minutes, then she started bogging down and had no power at WOT. Never died and did get me back to the dock.

96 Mariah Shebah 4.3 Volvo Penta with SX Cobra outdrive.

So we pulled her out and got her home. I inspected the outdrive and discovered all the bellows and boots are cracked and have some serious gaps in there. :mad: Now bear in mind, I did not personally inspect this vehicle prior to purchase, I sent my wife with a trusted friend who's very mechanical and I described in detail what he had to do to thoroughly inspect the vehicle including a detailed checklist with step by step instructions on inspecting the outdrive. Odd thing, boat was water tested and ran like a beast for 30-45 minutes....??? (Also on the water today it gave no indication of anything a miss in the outdrive or gimble, quiet and steady power.

All that said, I don't blame anyone. (But myself)

NOW I LOVE THIS BOAT. And I am still ok with what I spent on it because all in all it's in fantastic shape inside and out. And the motor (up to this point) runs like a top.

What am I looking at cost wise to either pull this thing apart inspect and repair vs. having a shop do it. Ball park me here.
And would the bellows being in this condition cause the bogging I experienced or should I be looking into some possible fuel issues too?

Thanks for all the help!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Help needed Volvo Penta 4.3 with SX Cobra outdrive

We help people fix boats here not estimate repairs.
Without some basic troubleshooting it's totally impossible to even give you an idea of what the problem is that's causing the bogging, or if the drive has anything to do with it.
You could have anything from some water in the fuel to the drive locking up causing the bogging hard to say.

MWBoatFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help needed Volvo Penta 4.3 with SX Cobra outdrive

Hi Don,

Thanks for the reply. I thought that's what I was asking for, help fixing my boat. Or more clearly what I'd be looking at fixing my boat and if deemed a bit too advanced for my knowledge and skill set or more than I wanted to tackle in the 100+ degree heat here in the MW then I was hoping someone could chime in on what a shop would throw at me cost wise.

Anyway, after spending Sunday looking at engine numbers and trying to determine which engine I had to determine the manual I would need (and the same for my outdrive) I figured it best to leave it to a professional since this is a lot more boat than I have ever owned and want it for sure done right the first time so I can hopefully enjoy the rest of summer and fall on the water worry free.

All that said, for future reference what sorts of diagnostic information will I need to bring to the forum to better assist me if I have a problem of some kind? So that I can give a better idea of whats going on in the hopes of getting assistance?

Thanks as always!