Help needed on Yamaha ignition switch and gauges

sort

Seaman Apprentice
1995 Yamaha 250 Saltwater on a Sailfish 236. Yamaha digital multifunction tach and speed gauges. When I turn on the ignition key the gauges remain dead but when I start the engine the tach gauge shows 0 mph and nothing else and the speedo still remains dead. I can slightly bump the ignition switch and the alarm will sound but stops when the ignition switch is turned all the way to start. I have checked all connections and can't find any that are loose or corroded. Could this be a bad/faulty ignition switch?? I hate to buy a new one since they are $147 if this is not the problem. Is there a way to test the switch and the gauges. I have a digital multi-meter but need to know what and where to check the circuts.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Help needed on Yamaha ignition switch and gauges

Check for power on the blue and yellow wires when you turn the switch on. Check that the red wire is always hot.Does the engine start and run?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> yellow is key on power,black is ground, red is fused 12v,green is tach send ,white is kill at the switch and fuel level at the speedo(two seperate cicuits do not hook them together)blue at the switch is choke,blue at the gauge is lights. there is a pigtail of one blue and a double yellow that can be hooked together to have the gauge lights come on with the key. there is also a fuse in the tach harness from the switch to the gauges.<br /> good luck and remember is a simple DC 12v circuit. dont make it complex:) :)

sort

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you gentlemen for your assistance. It turned out to be a bad ignition switch and I have replaced it and everything is now 100%.<br /><br />Sure is nice to have access to you folks. This board is outstanding.