Help need some quick advice.

MrMarine

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok guys here is my problem. I have been searching for an outboard for my 65 Starcraft 14' boat. All at once i have 2 choices to trade for.

Choice 1: 1981ish Johnson 9.9 Tiller trading for a 30/30 Marlin Rifle with scope and case.

Choice2: 1994 Evinrude Industrial Remote set up but no controles. for 30/30 marlin, 12ga Mossberg 500, Bostich Coil framing nailer all practically brand new.

Now I was hoping to change the boat to a center console, but right now it is side console steering only so i will need to buy controles.

Now i was told by the Johnson owner that the motor works great and was used last year.

Evinrude owner said last used 5 years ago but was rebuilt teh year it was last used and he is going to take it to the Marina and have a fresh tune up done to it to make sure it is running perfect for me.

Ok so based on the info i gave you what do you think would be the better deal i think it is the Evinrude : Bigger Motor, more tword the setup i want. Yes i will still need to buy additional things but hey a 25 hp motor.

Johnson: easier to move but would need to stick with current config of the boat. only 1 gun to get rid of.

I will be using the boat for lake and Bay fishing so what is the better choice.

Oh another question.
My boat measures about 20" from part of transom that motor sits on to the bottom and the johnson is 18" to the fin above the motor. Will it work?

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help need some quick advice.

You wanted advice quickly so I'll give you advice quickly. Neither is a deal unless you can hear them run and better yet test drive them on a boat. If that's not possible then the only offer you would get from me is junk price. A motor that has not run for five years will need some work. You are trading near new stuff for old stuff that is in unknown condition. You don't buy a car without driving it so why would be buy or trade for an engine you have no idea whether it runs or not or how well it runs. The word "rebuilt" leaves a bit to be desired. Rebuilt in what way, why, and by whom. If professionally rebuilt than receipts should be available.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

As to your second question.An 18 inch is too short for a 20 inch transom.It will start revving up and cavitating.

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I went through the same thing last October,I traded my gun collection,well 4 guns for my 1995 17 foot Bass Tracker.with a 40 hp Mercury.If you are going to get rid of your things,and I am sure that you love them,lol.Find one that the guy can start up for you,with controls.Find one that works,then if you can trade great,if not sell your stuff so that you can go and buy what you know that works.

arcadiainc

Seaman Apprentice

Look futher--- The 9.9 is too small and too short. It would not cut it in bay work. The 25 has not been run in five years and the rebuild is questionable. Keep your toys for a better trade. However if you gotta do it, go with the 9.9.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

It sounds like either way, you don?t mind losing the 30/30.

So, if you want to use the boat NOW, then go for the Johnson tiller.

But, if all your decks are built, and you don?t need the nailer. (And you have other uses for your compressor) And you have another shotgun stashed in a closet. And you are in no great hurry, then go for the 25HP Evinrude and the CC conversion project.

Actually, If it was me, for the value of your stuff either seems a good deal, so I?d try to get both. Offer the Johnson guy whatever 30/30 value in money, trade all your stuff to the Evinrude guy. Or some combination. An extra 10HP outboard can come in handy someday, for the occasional ?free rowboat? on Craigslist or wherever.

Then use the boat with a tiller until ready for the conversion,

If you?re thinking ebay, NOW is the beginning of construction season for selling the nailer. Right before fall is the season for selling those guns (but not on ebay)

Whatever you decide, every home should have a Mossberg 500.

Jim