Help! My new Boat!

mbroome

Seaman Apprentice
Took my wife out for a fast run around the resevoir. I have a 1981 wellcraft inboard with a cuddy cabin I bought saturday. Last night was my second trip out. I got launched, pulled away from the ramp. Putting it in gear, it went slowly, but giving it the gas only resulted in us going a few knots and making alot of noise! I made a loop and pulled the boat back out quickly. After coming up the ramp and inspecting I found the castle nut on the prop shaft spun up (wire, pin thing that WAS holding it gone), and the impeller very loose on the shaft. What is the correct way to reinstall this thing? I can push the impeller onto the shaft (should I grease it?). Next on goes a thick washer that is grooved to fit the impeller shaft, then the castle nut. Will a regular large cotter pin be ok to hold the castle nut on? If not I will send my wife to Smith Marine for the proper pin(s) today. You guys think I damaged anything somehow? I appreciate the help, I'm new to boating. I have owned a 2 stroke jetski for the past three years, so I'm used to "Wrenching"......
l_e6a26aa1b78545010a3a808b5d5cdcfa.jpg

Ron G

Commander
Re: Help! My new Boat!

Torque the nut down to around 50lbs and put a stainless cotter pin it.see what happens.

mbroome

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the welcome! The brass splined washer you put on after the impeller is worn, torn up as well. Im gonna get another today. Please correct me if I'm wrong here on this.......
drop the propeller on, (should I grease the shaft first guys?), then the NEW brass washer. Put the castle nut on, torque to 50 ft lbs. Im assuming holding the prop still with a large towel or strap wrench so it doesnt spin. Then unsert a regular stainless cotter pin? Guy I bought it from had some heavy wire twisted in there instead of a cotter pin. Will a regular cotter pin shear ok if need be or do I have to have something special? I appreciate the feedback!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Upon looking at the prop, it would appear the hub is spun -- meaning the rubber between the hub and the blade area of the prop has come loose. The hub appears to be way off-center but part of that may be the angle the picture was taken. Hence the when you apply power, the slipping rubber does not transfer power to the blades. You either need a new prop or this one needs to be re-hubbed.

mbroome

Seaman Apprentice

you are looking at the brass washer sitting on the top of the prop wall, not the prop center. How much ballpark range should it cost for a reputable dealer to completely rework a prop?

l_5cc73817e31d918322cb9977e3c21df9.jpg

Ron G

Commander

Grease it first.use stainless pin and try it if the hubbs spun you'll know it!

mbroome

Seaman Apprentice

my wife took it to the wellcraft place. They said the prop is fine, has some nicks but is ok. It isnt spun. I just lost the pin and tore up the upper brass bushing. They said to put it on, and with it in gear tighten the nut to 35 ft lbs, install a cotter pin and I'll be fine! Thanks for the help guys!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

There isn't a pin that holds the prop in place like the old shear pins. The splines keep it in place. The cotter pin only keeps the nut from backing off if it gets loose. As long as youre in forward gear the nut and cotter pin don't do anything. When you're in forward gear the prop is always trying to move forward away from the nut.