Help Me Understand!

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In this pic

how does the spring that pulls A back (i have been told it is under the flywheel)...over power the spring that is marked with the green 1? I assume it doesn't and the actual control cable is what should pull A back to an idle position. Is this correct...please help me understand the mechanics using the numbers and letters that are marked.

The problem is that the lever at C is not coming back far enough hence the high idle. Or does the arm NOT come back and I am suppose to adjust the idle elsewhere?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help Me Understand!

There is no spring under the flywheel. The spring in the arm at 1 allows the timer base arm to stop and the throttle arm to continue. The control cable brings everything back. The idle stop screw is under B. But it almost looks like the cam foller has the carb roller starting to move where you have it.

With the throttle cable off, the arm should be resting aginst the bottom adjustment screw. The carbs should all be closed and the roller should not be touching the cam follower.

Something doesn't look quite right with the trunion on the sthrottle cable. Adjust all your sync-n-link with the throttle cable off.

Is the throttle arm resting on the lower adjustment screw?

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so what you are saying is the arm at A is pulled back by the throttle cable at position B. It seemed that that was the only way it could be pulled back. However, I have had to screw the throttle control unit all the way down as seen the pic. It can't go any further. Therefore, the position at A does not get pulled back further. What else am I missing. thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

What are you calling the "throttle control unit"? The throttle cable? If so the trunion (the black piece that can be screwed forward or back) is what look odd.

Again, you make all the adjustments with the throttle cable off. Is that arm resting aginst the bottom adjustment screw?

freddyray21

Commander

some of those controls also had an idle stop at the control box as well. Could your's be adjusted too much there keeping the throttle from going all the way back. I usually hook the cables up like this. I unhook the cable from the motor. Put the motor linkage at idle. Then the remote control at idle. Then adjust the motor end where it will fit without moving the remote or the motor linkage. Works for me.

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What are you calling the "throttle control unit"? The throttle cable? If so the trunion (the black piece that can be screwed forward or back) is what look odd.

Again, you make all the adjustments with the throttle cable off. Is that arm resting aginst the bottom adjustment screw?

no it is not against the screw at the bottom...

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes...i screwed that all the way up so that the arm would pull the top piece all the way back...

freddyray21

Commander

I usually hook the cables up like this. I unhook the cable from the motor. Put the motor linkage at idle. Then the remote control at idle. Then adjust the motor end where it will fit without moving the remote or the motor linkage.

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I usually hook the cables up like this. I unhook the cable from the motor. Put the motor linkage at idle. Then the remote control at idle. Then adjust the motor end where it will fit without moving the remote or the motor linkage.

what do these look like at idle??? the settings that is.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Once more - remove the throttle cable from the throttle arm. The throttle cable has to be removed to start the process.

Once you remove the throttle cable you need to tell us if the throttle arm is or is not resting aginst the lower adjustment screw.

Randybeall

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you do any adjustments to the throttle and timing linkage on the engine it is important to remove the nut at location B and pull off the throttle cable first. The spring inside of 1 actually pulls back A, when A reaches full travel it also allows the throttle link to go on moving to full throttle. It is a centerning spring. When you get the links on the engine right and the assembly at 1 is against the idle stop B then adjust the warm up lever all the way down and the thumbwheel at the bottom of the picture until the throttle cable will easily slide on to the stud at B. If it will not adjust there is most likely a problem in the remote control and you will have to take it apart to get the cable right. Great pic, I have been meaning to get a good clear one.

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When you do any adjustments to the throttle and timing linkage on the engine it is important to remove the nut at location B and pull off the throttle cable first. The spring inside of 1 actually pulls back A, when A reaches full travel it also allows the throttle link to go on moving to full throttle. It is a centerning spring. When you get the links on the engine right and the assembly at 1 is against the idle stop B then adjust the warm up lever all the way down and the thumbwheel at the bottom of the picture until the throttle cable will easily slide on to the stud at B. If it will not adjust there is most likely a problem in the remote control and you will have to take it apart to get the cable right. Great pic, I have been meaning to get a good clear one.

Do I loosen the bolt at 1 and pull the arm at A back...? Thanks..

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

No reason to loosen that bolt now. Take the throttle cable off and pull the bottom of the throttle arm forward. Is it now resting on the bottom adjustment screw?

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

throttle cable is off...it is resting against bottom idle screw...

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

OK, is that screw about half way in & out? If so what does the motor idle at now?

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the screw is half way out...and the motor when on will idle perfectly...however, the problem comes when I want to put the cable back on...with it screwed down all the way it still is too long...

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

OK, if the motor idles fine with the cable off and the cable won't adjust far enough the problem is not with the motor, it's with the cable. remember when we started I said something didn't look right with the cable? The trunion, the part that can be adjusted, should be somewhere near the middle. It looks like it's almost, or is, all the way to the end.

A couple of things will cause that. Either the other end isn't adjusted / installed correctly (which I suspect) or the cable has stretched (possible). Your next step would be to take the throttle cable off the control and see what's going on there.

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bought new cable...so i know it is not the cable...where to go from there???

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Like I said, you'll need to take the control apart and look at how the cable is assembled and positioned in the control.