Help me choose...

tr4a

Cadet
I'm trying to choose between these two boats...

03' wakeboard boat 180 hrs

1996 Tige' Pre2100 Open Bow

My kids and their cousins (6 kids total) are just getting into wakeboarding and my wife and I both ski slalom. We just sold our 18' runabout and are looking to upgrade. The Glastron has the 220HP 5.0L. Looking for any advice/opinions from performance to reliability to roominess to maintenance to...? Thanks.

cannonman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Help me choose...

In my opinion, the inboard will do a better job of pulling wakeboarders. It also has a larger engine. Both cool boats! Good Luck!

southkogs

Staff member

Welcome aboard! You're actually comparing apples to bohemian ear spoons ;)

A wakeboard boat and a ski boat are complete opposites. A wake board boat is designed to run lower speeds and cut monster gouges in the water generating big lumpy wakes for the boarders to ride on / jump over. A ski boat pops outta' the hole quickly and drops a small flat table in it's wake that makes nice compressed water for the skiier to run on with a minimal wake profile, making it easier to cross back and forth behind the boat. The wake boarders should think the ski boat is kinda' lame and the skiiers should think the wake boat is kinda' lame. So, you're stuck between wife's likes and kid's likes ... IMHO, keep her happiest :)

The Glastron doesn't look like a dedicated wake boarding boat, so it might be the compromise as a standard bow rider. I might be completely wrong, though. The ad states that the Glastron has a V-Drive but I didin't think they made one. If I'm right, that's a standard I/O. A dedicated wake boarding boat would (typically) be inboard with ballast tanks built in.

I don't know the Tige boats very well (I live in MasterCraft country), but it looks like a reasonable ski boat. A true inboard, that boat is designed to get on top of the water fast with a LOT of pulling power and minimal wake. A skier would enjoy that boat more than a wake boarder.

Hope that helps a little.

Dawg'sLife93

Petty Officer 1st Class

I might be completely wrong, though. The ad states that the Glastron has a V-Drive but I didin't think they made one. If I'm right, that's a standard I/O. A dedicated wake boarding boat would (typically) be inboard with ballast tanks built in.

The ad say the Glastron has more room than a 20ft V drive, not that it has a V drive. I says it's got a Alpha 1 I/O with a 4 blade prop.

southkogs

Staff member

The ad say the Glastron has more room than a 20ft V drive, not that it has a V drive. I says it's got a Alpha 1 I/O with a 4 blade prop.
... right you are. I musta' read too fast. Thanks.

gdeangel

Seaman

Not really an issue you mentioned, but if your going to trailer this, consider your clearances when you need to back in to your driveway (figured this out real quick myself when I moved up to 20'). The single axle trailer will do better making sharp turn in confined space. At some point, your kids will be driving this around too...

Also, not "boat mechanic" advice, just "general mechanic" advice - the Tige had the head replaced... but not the rings. I'd be sure to run compression check before making offer on that one.