Help me catch fish in Tampa Bay

John_S

Rear Admiral
I am on work assignment, and will be in the Tampa area for about 4 weeks. I am a NE freshwater fisherman, and only have fished the saltwater, a few times. The motel is on the Bay (North Rockypoint), and have been doing a little fishing, using shrimp. Catching a bunch of small strange looking fish! Teeth, spines, shapes, and colors, its all covered!<br /><br />Every once in a while, a single fish, the general shape of a walleye, but more of a light brown color, cruises the shore line, at a fairly good clip. It is about 24" long, and all the small fish dart for cover. I see it, more often at low tide, but could be just the fact that the water clarity is better then. Any idea what kind of fish, and what would be the best lure/technique to catch it? I am thinking a spoon or jig, fished agressively. Don't have any idea of what are good colors, either. <br /><br />I'd normally ask at a bait store, but not sure of where any are, near the city. I haven't got out to Indian Rocks Beach/Johns Pass (maybe this weekend), where I have fished on other trips.

GatorMike

Ensign
Re: Help me catch fish in Tampa Bay

My guess is it is a redfish. Could be a snook or large trout but they would have more of a silver color. Try a gold spoon or maybe a yozuri lure.

GatorMike

Ensign

My guess is it is a redfish. Could be a snook or large trout but they would have more of a silver color. Try a gold spoon or maybe a yozuri lure.

rjarreau

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like Redfish!!!Down here in Louisiana Thats what we Specilize in!!!!Redish are suckers for brigh colors and nise. They cant resist this setup. Get a yellow popping cork, 18 to 24 inch leader under popping cork. get a 1/4 D.O.A. glow shrimp if this is not available just use a 1/4 oz. yellow jig head with a sharptreuce colored plastic and tip the hook with a small piece of shrimp or squid. when you see the fish throw in the general vicinity and pop the cork hard a few times!!! than hold on!!! Good Luck!!! They are Reel screamers and will take lots of drag!!! to see a picture of the setup goto and how to use it. http://www.thejump.net/speculizer/