HELP!! Manifold gasket removal

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class
07 VP 5.7L tring to clean old gasket off engine block.

What I have tried: Very light paint scraper. Didn't work. Next a die cast 1 inch scraper. Would hardly leave a mark on it. Next I bought gasket dissolver from CRC and let that work for a few hours. Didn't touch it. Tried gasoline. Didn't touch it. Worked with scrapper for 9 hours yesterday and got maybe 2/3 off one side.i hit it with a little On Off and didn't help but made a nice horrible smell. I took my air drill it a 3m finger pad this morning and have gotten off maybe another inch after 3 hours.

I have no idea what Volvo puts on the gaskets in the factory but someone has to know something about getting it clean. I have not marred the surface but I am afraid it i get any more aggressive with tools I could.

Please help me out. Even if you don't know yourself but know someone who does, give them a call and ask.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: HELP!! Manifold gasket removal

07 VP 5.7L tring to clean old gasket off engine block.

What I have tried: Very light paint scraper. Didn't work. Next a die cast 1 inch scraper. Would hardly leave a mark on it. Next I bought gasket dissolver from CRC and let that work for a few hours. Didn't touch it. Tried gasoline. Didn't touch it. Worked with scrapper for 9 hours yesterday and got maybe 2/3 off one side.i hit it with a little On Off and didn't help but made a nice horrible smell. I took my air drill it a 3m finger pad this morning and have gotten off maybe another inch after 3 hours.

I have no idea what Volvo puts on the gaskets in the factory but someone has to know something about getting it clean. I have not marred the surface but I am afraid it i get any more aggressive with tools I could.

Please help me out. Even if you don't know yourself but know someone who does, give them a call and ask.

Ayuh,.... So you've got Air,..?? got a die grinder,..??

I use the 2" scotch pad wheels I get from Napa... there's 3 grades, coarse knocks the crud off, 'n fine polishes nicely,...

Don't get too agressive, as you can alter the surface if yer not careful...

Goin' back together, I use Fel-pro 1404 gaskets for SBCs,...
Their metallic surfaced, 'n sandwiched carbon graphite composites...

Bein' 1 piece, makes 'em marine enough for me,...

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just had a friend who owns a garage come and look at it. His exact words, " Hooly crap, I have never seen anything like this. It looks like Volvo could not get a good seal between manifold and riser and filled it with something. You have a big problem. Have your Volvo dealer fix it but be ready for a big bill."

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Why have volvo fix it and pay the price.......do as bondo sugested, it ill work like a charm.

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dropped the boat off at my dealer. He had one of his mechanics go into the engine room and in 2 seconds I got my answer. When my engine block was made the flang mounting surface was not flat. Instead of trashing the block to melt down and start over they have a metal/ composite plate that you put against the flange on the block, then gasket, then the manifold. When the metal/ composite peice is heated to 120 degrees it chemically bonds with the flange and provides a perfectly flat surface for the manifold to bolt onto. It is not designed to come off.

He has 3 of these metal/ composite things in stock. He said he will take the rest off with a grinder and with the new composit thing, the gasket, and manifold and make you good as new.

Gota say I have never heard of such a thing but he was able to show and tell. Can't beat a man at his trade.