HELP lining up gear linkage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlj

Cadet
Replaced impeller in lower unit of a 4 cylinder, 2.5L, mercruiser. Once I get the lower unit in place<br />and bolted down, the prop and gear shift are all messed up. On one trial the engine stalled every<br />time I tried to shift to forward or reverse, another time the prop was free spinning, the third time <br />the prop was locked in place and could not be moved. Please help, I only have one day before vacation.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: HELP lining up gear linkage

Sound like somewhere along the way that prop shaft got turned away from forward and we have a misalignment with the intermediate little shift shaft.Did you just drop the lower?If so it might be easier for you to pull the entire drive.Alighn it on the bench with all things facing forward as they should be. Then install the complete gearcase with the remote in forward gear.You will need a new gasket kit to do this.Why did you wait?

Countrybois

Cadet
Re: HELP lining up gear linkage

Remove the lower unit. Put shift handle in forward. On the lower unit, turn the shift shaft clockwise looking down on it, this will put the lower unit in forward gear and the prop should lock in one direction and ratchet in the opposite. Be sure not to turn the prop in the direction that it ratchets as this will take it back out of gear. Slide lower unit up into the oudrive. You may have to turn the prop to get the drive shaft splines to line up. Once again be sure to only turn it in the direction that it seems locked, you don't want it jumping out of gear while you are installing it or your shift shaft will not be aligned correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.