Help! Labor Costs for Common(?) MerCruiser Repairs

slackjawed

Recruit
Hi folks. First time poster, so thank you in advance for your wisdom. Boat being discussed is a 2001 Maxum 2300SR with 5.7L (2bbl) MerCruiser (GM 350). 270 hours on the engine, rack stored.

Had a small leak which my mechanic was having trouble locating. This has now led to a laundry list of repairs. If you could let me know how many hours (labor only, no parts) each SHOULD take, it would be VERY helpful to me so that I can confirm my mechanic isn't taking me to the cleaners on labor costs. I will try to be brief; this is the order in which the repairs were done:

1) Replace risers/manifolds
2) Install new bellows kit (U-joint, exhaust, shift, gimbal bearing, etc)
3) Replace Water pump
4) Remove engine
5) Replace cracked inner transom plate
6) Reinstall engine

I know this is an inexact science and many factors can affect how long a repair takes. But if I get a ballpark or range (ie 2-3 hours) it would be great. When I get few responsese, I will post the amount of labor HE is saying each repair will take (at $150/hr!!!) :eek:

Thank you!
Gordon

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Help! Labor Costs for Common(?) MerCruiser Repairs

I imagine you must have squirt out a kid when you saw the estimate.
That's quite a list. I'm guessing, minimum 20 hours, on a good day. I wouldn't be surprised if the estimate is double that.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

a 2001, why is the inner plate cracked?Are you sure? add between 2-5 hrs to each for unseen issues.
1 - 2-4 hr
2 - 4hr
3- 1 hr
4- 2 hr
5- 5 hr
6- 3hr
installing the engine requires a re-alignment
Variables: corroded bolts,nuts,hinge pins,grinding .cutting, torch time
And get another opinion from another shop because WE DON`T GUESS WHERE THE LEAK IS. Unless you`ve smacked some very large oblects, inners don`t just crack.Common causes are: bellows, where the trim/tilt wires enter the housing, exaust Y pipe O ring or corroded hole thru it, water inlet tube., hull drain.
As long as were just guessing where the leak is I`ll bid 1/2 what he wants for the job, but no reason to believe I `d fix it either by guessing.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Engine location for a Maxum 2300SR, 2001

2542337-11.jpg

I would guess they can't find the leak because they can't get there to see anything. It also makes it a major job to get the engine out. I would bet after removing the engine they have to put the drive back on and put it in the water to actually find the leak.
If it's being used in salt water, it will be even worse.
I would say min. 30 hours, depending of findings when engine removed, probably even more.

slackjawed

Recruit

Guys, thanks so much for the speedy responses. First, here is what he estimated for the repairs before he started the job (well, items 1-3 anyway; items 4-6 he estimated when it became known they had to be done):

1) Replace risers/manifolds: 5 to 7 hours
2) Install new bellows kit: 5 to 6 hours
3) Replace Water pump: 1 hour
4) Remove engine: 2 hours
5) Replace cracked inner transom plate: 2 to 4 hours
6) Reinstall engine 2 hours

It tells me that he is high on the manifolds/risers/bellows, but reasonable on the other stuff. I think the total labor is going to be 21-25 hours, depending on the transom plate and engine reinstall goes today. All in all, that sounds in line, no?

He first thought the leak was from one of the bellows he could not readily see, which is why he suggested this repair - and based on the fact that it had never been done before. The manifolds and risers I requested he do
simply because of their age (9 years in salt/brackish water, 260 hours).

When that didn't solve the problem, he suspected the Y-pipe. When he pulled the engine to inspect it, he saw that the Y-pipe looked OK but that the inner transom plate was cracked, which he admitted was unusual. We have never gone hard aground with the boat, but I will admit to a few slow speed groundings in mud or sand. So I have no idea why it cracked.

Here is a thought: the outdrive had lock nuts on it which we couldn't find the key for. He had to drill them out. Is it possible, or even likely, that he could have cracked the transom plate during this process? Just taking a guess......

Thanks again,
Gordon

Bondo

Staff member

Engine location for a Maxum 2300SR, 2001
depending of findings when engine removed,

Ayuh,... That looks like it's Fun to work on,....

I'd Guesstimate to pay Somebodyelse to Fix could Easily run 2 or 3 times the value of the boat......:rolleyes:

Is it possible, or even likely, that he could have cracked the transom plate during this process?

Ayuh,... That'd be about 1 in a Trillion...... Naw,... Make that Impossible...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Here is a thought: the outdrive had lock nuts on it which we couldn't find the key for

You didnt mention that . Did you recently acquire this boat
Going by Don`s pic, add 10hr for minor cosmetic fiberglass repairs .having to cut the engine out.I retract my bid.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Here is a thought: the outdrive had lock nuts on it which we couldn't find the key for. He had to drill them out. Is it possible, or even likely, that he could have cracked the transom plate during this process? Just taking a guess......

No.

It's been my experience that boats that are rack stored receive little if any maintenance. Add to that, saltwater use,

slackjawed

Recruit

He drilled or cut the locks off and didn't report any cosmetic damage, but I will certainly check this. As far as "cutting the engine out", I don't think this is necessary. I believe the divider you see is wood and can be removed for major engine repair such as this.

No, we bought the boat brand new in 2001 and have owned it ever since. The locknuts were installed by the dealer and either we never got the keys or they were lost at some point.

I am figuring with parts this will come in around $5,000 which I would say is about 1/3 the value the boat, not 2 to 3 times the value of the boat.

Yes, I'm not sure if the rack storage gives owners a false sense of security because cosmetically the boat stays in pretty good condition - particulary considering we are in NJ where it is shrinkwrapped half the year. But I admit we have been somewhat lax on the maintenance other than oil changes, lower unit oil, spark plugs, etc.

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

labor rate at the marina shop is 90 around lk hopatcong. for authorized Merc dealers.

NEED TO ADD LOCATION TO PROFILE.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,
Here's what I found in a Boattrader.com search. model year 2000-2002
Browsing 1-8 of 8 Listings
Range of prices within this search on Boattrader.com

Highest: $ 24,900 Lowest: $ 14,900 Average: $ 17,576
Those are of course "asking prices" very few people (if any) in this economy will EVER get their asking price.....

You should plan on keeping the boat after you fix it. You'll never "get your money" out of it....

If you want to save yourself some money, pull the manifolds/risers before you have them do the work and put the new ones on after they finish.

Cheers,

Rick

45Auto

Commander

Boat being discussed is a 2001 Maxum 2300SR with 5.7L (2bbl) MerCruiser (GM 350). 270 hours on the engine, rack stored.

No, we bought the boat brand new in 2001 and have owned it ever since. The locknuts were installed by the dealer and either we never got the keys or they were lost at some point.

So the outdrive hasn't been pulled since it was new??? And you're using it in salt water???

But I admit we have been somewhat lax on the maintenance other than oil changes, lower unit oil, spark plugs, etc.

I think you should send Maxxum and Mercruiser a "bonus check", in addition to your repair bill, for building you a boat that lasted as long as it did :) .......

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I think you should send Maxxum and Mercruiser a "bonus check", in addition to your repair bill, for building you a boat that lasted as long as it did :) .......
toothlessgiggler.gif

I really hate to jump on a "bashwagon" but unfortunately, a LOT of people think they can treat a boat like a car and simply do "nothing" (regular oil/filter changes and spark plugs are nothing) for many years and get away with it.........

AND then, be surprised & angry, when they finally have to "pay the piper":rolleyes:

Most people have been there (me included) So I do have *some* sympathy...SOME.

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

$150 an hour is awfully high.Around my area they are all $89 per hour.I think I would check out some other shops.Also I think I could change risers/manifolds or do a bellows kit faster than I could remove an engine.

slackjawed

Recruit

First time poster, so I apologize for not having my info all filled out when I began posting this morning, wajajaja02.

Boat is kept at a marina in Highlands, NJ. The marina used to be, but no longer is, an authorized MerCruiser dealer. The mechanic working on my boat was their MerCruiser mechanic so I am fairly comfortable with his knowledge of a 2001 engine. That said, there are at least two MerCruiser facilities within a short sail (Oceanic Marina in Rumson and Irwin Marine in Red Bank) so I certainly could have taken it somewhere else. Their labor rates were comparable: one was $125 and the other was around the same (don't recall exactly).

We are not planning to sell the boat, I was just answering someone's comment that the cost of the repair far exceeded the value of the boat, which is just not true.

Rick, I believe the manifolds and risers and bellows were done before the other work because he suspected it was leaking at one of the bellows. Not much I can do about that now. But how does that save money? Do they have to take the risers/manifolds off again to replace the inner transom plate?

45 Auto, I inherited the boat from my father in 2007 so I really don't know what work was done for the most part. But certainly it would seem the outdrive was never pulled if the lock nuts were still on. Yes, we got very lucky that nothing blew up in all this time using it in the Naveskink and Shrewsbury Rivers plus a limited amount in Sandy Hook and Raritan Bays!

HT32BSX115, I am actually not angry about having to pay for the repair. Other than the transom plate, this is all stuff that should have been done at least once if not more during the 9 years we have owned the boat. It was like a free loan, if you like. I am just trying to educate myself on these repairs since, unlike most people on these boards, I have no DIY experience with boats. Therefore, I have no idea how long any of the stuff takes. He could have told me 60 hours and I would not have been sure.

I am guessing that when this was as "simple" manifold/risers/bellows/water pump job, he was padding the bill a bit, picklenjim. But when it turned into something much bigger, I think he has pared back his labor costs. Maybe he realizes at $150/hour he doesn't have to get me for every last minute he worked. Then again, he has been working on the boat since at least June 20th, so I'm not feeling particularly charitable towards him either.

Anyway, not sure if anyone will be interested, but I will tell you all how this turns out.....hopefully it is a happy ending!