Help...Johnson starter problems

drbobp

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1996 Johnson FastStrike 150 that I bought used this past year. I have had starting problems 7 times (taken it to a mechanic or dealer) since I got it. The bendix, starter solenoid and starter have all been replaced (at least once and twice for the bendix). The motor starts fine after "fixing" for a short period of time (a couple of days to a couple of weeks). The problem is always the same...the starter turns but the engine isn't turned over. Most of the repairs said the bendix was stuck. Sometimes, the motor will start after sitting for 20 minutes or so, and sometimes it will start if the starter is "bumped" 3 or 4 times. It is driving me crazy...I've had to have my fish given a ride in other boats to weigh-ins. Help, please!!!!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help...Johnson starter problems

hello<br /> on the late model jonnyrudes the bendix is a friction driven device. seperate the bendix and the drive plate and clean the oil from the rubber with alchohol. its real common if you periodically spray your power head with corrosion inhibitor. if the drive plate gets oily it will slip. the drive will pop up and the starter will spin but the drive bendix and flywheel wont.<br /> good luck and keep posting

angus63

Captain

Check the position of the starter assembly. Be sure it is properly aligned to the flywheel and the starter gear meshes without interference. Check condition of the flywheel teeth also for excess wear and burrs. The assembly should be lubed sparingly with the lightest oil you can find. Also make sure your connections are clean and secure, and your battery is putting out strong cranking amps (check manual for minimum).<br />Good luck<br />Welcome aboard!!! You'll find some great help here!!

drbobp

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks rodbolt and angus63. I'll print a copy of your replies to give to my mechanic (since I'm an idiot about mechanical things. ) Two mechanics suggested lubricating the bendix shaft but another said "NO WAY! That will void any warranty on the new bendix." I'm so confused and frustrated by the continuing problem that I could scream.....wait...I already did that! lol

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Just one more thing dr.....check the bushing in the cover over the flywheel. The end of the starter rides in here. If it gets wobbled out, it won't engage right either. Run across a couple like that.

drbobp

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks OBJ...I'll check it.

drbobp

Seaman Apprentice

Just one more thing dr.....check the bushing in the cover over the flywheel. The end of the starter rides in here. If it gets wobbled out, it won't engage right either. Run across a couple like that.<br /><br />--------------------<br />OBJ<br /><br /><br />OBJ...you were right...the bushing was messed up. It has been replaced and so far, so good! Thanks!

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

My starter does this now and then. I'll check for all this over the winter.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I'm going to pitch in and suggest that you replace the heavy cable going to the starter and meticulously clean the connections to the solinoid and starter. Any corrosion inside the cable or at the connections will result in high resistance which results in less than needed current going to the starter.