Help in IDing Serial Number on E110TLCE Evinrude

MarkGrossbauer

Recruit
The model/serial number sticker is not readable and I would like to see if I can back in to my serial number using the welch plug numbers. I have read that if the welch plug number starts with an R it indicates that power head has been replaced. I am also told if it is original, someone at a dealership could cross the number to the engine serial. Any chance I can get that confirmed? If so, how do I ID the replacement power head details and any way to get the serial number on the motor? I have backed into the model number by assuming it is original to the boat as I am told it is, (1989 Sun Tracker 28' Party Hut). The cowl shows it is an Evinrude/Tracker 110HP with VRO. It is electric start, trim/tilt, 20in shaft and gasoline. That equates to a model number E110TLCE. Any help would be appreciated. **Also, on the welch plug, it sure looks like a Mercury "M" rather than an Evinrude "E". Could that be a Mercury factory reman powerhead?

Attachments

• Welch Model Number E110TLCE.jpg
    Welch Model Number E110TLCE.jpg
    953.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The M was the OMC Logo. If it is a factory replacement it should be a 110 hp motor. Does it have a bubbleback exhaust.

MarkGrossbauer

Recruit
The M was the OMC Logo. If it is a factory replacement it should be a 110 hp motor. Does it have a bubbleback exhaust.
Yes, it has the bubbleback exhaust. Does the R on the welch plug mean it has been replaced? I figure it is still a 110HP, just hoping to ID the serial as I think I have everything else sorted. Glad to know the M is from OMC, the powerhead looks original, unmolested, paint still matches and no witness marks as if it has been torn down.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The 'M' is surrounded by a squarish 'O', a reference to, Outboard Marine.
As far as I know, Replacement Engines usually came without a Disc in that location. As you state, it is often easy to tell if a powerhead has been replaced, by the color of the paint, and paint being missing from bolts and nuts.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I have had replacements with the R. Another thing is the model # is not on the disc, and I believe 89 still had model #s and serial #s on the disc

MarkGrossbauer

Recruit
I have had replacements with the R. Another thing is the model # is not on the disc, and I believe 89 still had model #s and serial #s on the disc
Is that number on the disc the actual serial number or some other factory code? I was told it could be used by the dealer to find the actual serial number.