Help, I can't get it going

ebird99

Seaman Apprentice
1999 Johnson 130hp

I am currently starting and idleing fine, until the warm up "high" idle comes down, then I slowly lose rpm until it stalls. If it doesn't stall right away it does stall when I give it a little throttle. I've added fuel conditioner and replaced the plugs and fuel filter, but no change. I did have the starter bendix lock up with the flywheel the last time out (which I have fixed) however I find it hard to believe the problems are related. Does anybody know what I should troubleshoot next?

ebird

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Help, I can't get it going

I would start with the basics of testing the compression and spark and then do a link and sink to make sure that it is not idled down too low. It sounds like it may be a fuel problem either carbs or fuel delivery, but it is hard to say until you verify compression and spark

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Can you keep it running by pumping up the primer bulb? If so, sounds like a fuel delivery problem...tank vent is open, right? If not, time to check the idle and synch.

Relliott

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like it time to rebuilt the carbs!!

ebird99

Seaman Apprentice

Squeezing the primer bulb did not help.

Theoutdoorsman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Your problems could stem from any number of things including weak fuel pump, crimped fuel line, sticky timer base, power pack, coil, dirty carbs, carb float sticking open/shut, carbs not synced correctly, idle not set correctly, etc etc etc......... get the picture here? Start with the basics and begin ruling things out. First and foremost, do a compression test as suggested earlier in your thread. Folks here, need to be certain you are working with a solid foundation. Otherwise, your going to be chasing your tail this time next season. Remember to make note of each cylinders' compression. Post your findings like this:

X.........X
X.........X

Next.... purchase an adjustable spark tester ($10-$20), available at your local automotives dept., and with all plugs removed test for spark on all cylinders. Do not test for spark via the old lawn mower and screwdriver method. This spark can and will hurt you!! Your spark should jump a 7/16 - 1/2" gap with a strong "snaaaap". While pulling the plugs out, examine them carefully, remembering where each is located in relation to the powerhead. Is one, or maybe two, different than the others? All the same? Has anything changed with the outboard? What, if anything, has been tampered with? Start with the basics and go from here. Post your findings and additional help will follow.

While your at it, look into getting an OEM Service Manual (not the Clymer Manual) if you don't already have one. If not, you can purchase one right here at iBoats under the "store" link. BTW....... what is your model number? Good luck!!!........... ALAN

ebird99

Seaman Apprentice

The problem was fuel, (love that ethanol). I had a leak path from my tank instrumentation that allowed water to enter the tank. Using an alternate fuel tank it ran fine.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Glad you found the problem.