Help: How to access the in-tank end of the fuel pickup line?

zevi

Seaman Apprentice
Greetings!

This is (hopefully) getting to the final chapter of my stalling/backfiring engine saga... (See original thread BELOW)

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ase-help-5-0gl-hesitates-backfires-lose-power

Given the intermittent nature of the problem and the little time I had to get out on the water :)-() this last summer, I never made real progress on the issue. However, I did make real contribution to the shop's bank account as I paid for various diagnostics the lead me nowhere, including a new low-pressure fuel pump, etc.

Last weekend I was working on the boat, and I was having hard time keeping the engine running, even out of the water and not under load.

I disconnected the fuel/water filter from the incoming fuel line, and connected it directly to an auxiliary fuel tank. Worked like a charm: the engine was running smooth and clean. So now I know the I have a problem somewhere between the tank and the fuel filter. The usual suspect: anti-siphon valve. After wrestling with the valve through the small access hole in the floor, I could not take it off. I ended up removing the 90 deg elbow with the anti-siphon valve, hoping I'll have better success working on a bench. Long story, but the valve sheared off, and I had a long fight with gentle drilling to remove the leftover aluminium from the elbow.

Now what I have is (1) a new siphon valve ordered, and (2) the old items as the picture below shows (I will re-use the elbow).

The bottom of the elbow (right edge of the image) was connected to a plastic pipe going into in the tank. How do I access the in-tank end of it? Is there a screen filter? While I'm down there, I'd like to make sure that nothing else is restricting the fuel.

Thanks in advance!
​Zevi.

IMG_3574.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3574.JPG
    IMG_3574.JPG
    309.9 KB · Views: 3

Bondo

Staff member
The bottom of the elbow (right edge of the image) was connected to a plastic pipe going into in the tank. How do I access the in-tank end of it?

Ayuh,.... It should have come out With the elbow fittin',.....

Probably nothin' on the other end, pull it out, however ya can, 'n replace it with a piece that fits the elbow tighter,...

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
... I ended up removing the 90 deg elbow with the anti-siphon valve, hoping I'll have better success working on a bench. Long story, but the valve sheared off, and I had a long fight with gentle drilling to remove the leftover aluminium from the elbow....

I suppose it is good that you were able to successfully remove the rest of the valve from the elbow. But a new elbow with the plastic tube already attached is cheap. That's what I would have done. You may be able to buy the plastic pick up tube by it self, or make your own... but I would say just go and buy a new elbow / pickup tube combo. You can cut it to whatever length you need.

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class
Greetings!

The bottom of the elbow (right edge of the image) was connected to a plastic pipe going into in the tank. How do I access the in-tank end of it? Is there a screen filter? While I'm down there, I'd like to make sure that nothing else is restricting the fuel.

You likely found your problem. Fuel pickup tube and elbow are usually one piece. Some have a screen and other don't. Once the repair done, temporary use a clear plastic tube between the valve and the fuel pump. There should be no more than a small bubble every few seconds.

zevi

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you all for the quick replies!

Ayuh,.... It should have come out With the elbow fittin',.....

When I lifted the elbow from the tank, a plastic tube was indeed attached to it. However, I could not pull it clear out of the tank, because it was stuck at the end: like as if something that is larger than the opening was at the end of that tube. I didn't want to use force pulling it, because usually applying force when you work on the boat = $$$ ... :-(

I just pulled the elbow from the tube and secured the tube so it did not fall back into the tank.

...But a new elbow with the plastic tube already attached is cheap. That's what I would have done. You may be able to buy the plastic pick up tube by it self, or make your own... but I would say just go and buy a new elbow / pickup tube combo. You can cut it to whatever length you need.

That was what I intended originally: replace the whole thing: hose, anti-siphon valve, elbow, pickup tube. Problem is that while it was easy to find a 3/8NP x 1/4 barb anti-siphon valve, I could not find anywhere the elbow+pickup tube. Four Winns does not list it as a part in the catalogue.

... Once the repair done, temporary use a clear plastic tube between the valve and the fuel pump. There should be no more than a small bubble every few seconds.

That's a good point - thanks for the hint. I'll do it before making final connection with a (new) fuel hose.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Google it and you find a bunch...

prd_94.jpg

The screen at the bottom is probably bent up a little and causing the tube to not pull out.

Bondo

Staff member
The screen at the bottom is probably bent up a little and causing the tube to not pull out.

Ayuh,.... If it won't come out, I wouldn't hesitate to cut it off, 'n let it fall back in,....

It'll bounce 'round forever, but won't bother the new one, with a bevel cut,....

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

I could not find anywhere the elbow+pickup tube. Four Winns does not list it as a part in the catalogue.

I found mine under fuel tank. I used the online parts catalog in customer service section.

Attachments

• photo233192.PNG
    photo233192.PNG
    14.6 KB · Views: 2

zevi

Seaman Apprentice
..cut it off, 'n let it fall back in, It'll bounce 'round forever, but won't bother the new one, with a bevel cut,....

I found mine under fuel tank. I used the online parts catalog in customer service section.

Yes, I saw that too - but that has no screen, and the elbow is not listed in that catalogue. Also, Fishermark - the elbow in the image looks like Aluminium, and I don't know how well the Al elbow and the Al anti-siphon valve are going to play together (for future serviceability).

Besides, are you all saying that I should put a new pickup tube without the screen? Just the bevel cut? Not sure I want to do that, because if my screen got jammed and plugged, it means it served a purpose and without it I am bound to get the crud from the tank to stick elsewhere....

Thank you!

Bondo

Staff member
and without it I am bound to get the crud from the tank to stick elsewhere....

Ayuh,..... Exactly,.... In the Fuel Filter,.....

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Besides, are you all saying that I should put a new pickup tube without the screen? Just the bevel cut? Not sure I want to do that, because if my screen got jammed and plugged, it means it served a purpose and without it I am bound to get the crud from the tank to stick elsewhere....

Thank you!

That's what your filter(s) are for. Especially the fuel / water separator. A filter is easier to replace than pulling the pick up tube and cleaning the screen. But if you have so much crud in your tank that the screen is getting clogged, then you have too much crud in your tank! ;)