Help getting trim cylinder off

scb1712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all - it’s been a while since I posted, but have always gotten good advice so thought I’d try again. I have a Volvo penta SX-M I/o which has a leaking trim cylinder. I’ve tried to ge the piston(s) off but the bottom shaft seems to be seized. I’ve removed the clips and washers from both sides, as well as the keeper nuts on the back. I can’t get the hydraulic lines undone, nor can I budge the bottom shaft. I’ve tried heat, bashing it with a sledge (which only managed to flare the shaft a bit so I had to file it down) but it won’t move at all. I’m open to any ideas 💡

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are you rebuilding it? I just did mine right on the boat. It was easier than trying to remove the old lines. I left the lines on and just took out the shaft to rebuild it.

scb1712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I could try but I’ve heard the rebuild kits don’t work for the Volvo. That’s why I was trying to get it off. However the shaft that goes through it at the bottom is seized

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
The one I got worked fine. And I did it right on the boat, was easy once I got the right spanner wrench to take it apart. Bought it off Ebay.

slag

Chief Petty Officer
Would you mind linking the kit you got? Mine leak down over the winter and I'd like to rebuild both, however, the kits I've seen are $100 or more for a few seals so I'm hoping what you bought was much cheaper. Another option I guess would be to take it apart and bring the parts into IBT (Bearing place) to find the seals needed.

slag

Chief Petty Officer
Same thing I was looking at. $234 for a few seals, bushings, etc.. yikes, that's expensive. Probably $20 worth of parts in each kit.

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
Same thing I was looking at. $234 for a few seals, bushings, etc.. yikes, that's expensive. Probably $20 worth of parts in each kit.

Correct, but cheaper than new trim rams and quick and easy to do.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer
The OEM kits runs $55 a cylinder and are still just simple O-rings. That kit in the link has actually hydraulic seals and not o-ring rod seals like the original garbage. Over 200 sold and 100% feedback on the kits.