HELP "Frozen in Miami ? "

osly007

Cadet
I need some advice,just recieved 1985 johnson 60 hp from up north "boston"sat outside for 4 years was running before but would not idle<br />1-took plugs out looks good inside "flashlight" motor will not turn<br />2-lower unit turn freely"probably in nuetral <br />3-motor otherwise looks clean no rust<br />Is it worth fixing? And what is my first step.I am handy with tools and would like to give it a go I was hoping the hot weather in miami would free it up lol

mnmfors

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: HELP "Frozen in Miami ? "

I would suggest looking into the gas, sometimes it will go bad....drain the carbs, etc.

mnmfors

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My appologies, I misread your post earlier. (a little tired) Your motor wont turn, diregard fuel suggestion. :eek:

norman158

Petty Officer 1st Class

shoot some good penatrating oil in the cyls and let it soak in for a couple days sounds like the rings are stuck to the cyl walls

Mike M2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes do like Norm says, lay motor down, carbs down, so it'll soak good.

Fouled Plug

Ensign

I've had good luck with Deep Creep penetrant, or tranny fluid. Spray or pour in through spark plug holes and let it sit for a few days. If the starter won't turn it, you may need to take a block of wood and a hammer and gently try to turn the flywheel. I've had a couple motors that required removing the cylinder head and the block/hammer method to the piston tops. The key is lots of penetrating oil and patience. And don't go nuts with the hammer! :D When you get it freed up, we'll work on getting it running well. Good luck!

osly007

Cadet

thanks for the info guys i'll let it soak a couple of days and then i guess we'll go from there

osly007

Cadet

well guys i got it free "pistons that is" I did what you told me let it soak.I took of the head cover no the top of the 2 pistons exposed what should i do next?the flywheel turns freely ,the cylinder wall looks good except when the piston slides back i still get rust stains in the cylinder.My ? is if i put it together will it be ok or now the i have it almost all apart send it to the machine shop for work and how do i check if the main bearings are ok thanks

norman158

Petty Officer 1st Class

no rust pits in the cyls? you will need the manual for your motor. if this were mine i would put it back together with a new head gasket rebuild the carbs and try to fire it up using fresh 50 to 1

Fouled Plug

Ensign

If the bores aren't pitted, you might just go ahead and fire it up and check the compression warm. The rust is no doubt coming from the penetrating oil that reached the piston rings. The rings stuck to the walls was the "frozen" part of the motor. Checking the crank bearings would involve some more disassembly. If it were me? New headgasket, and a tank of break-in fuel mix (double oil) and then check your compression. If it looks OK at that point, change the lower unit lube and replace impeller and let 'er rip! Your mileage may vary. :)

osly007

Cadet

thanks Norman158 and Fouled Plug<br /> the cylinder looks good but some light rust pits but i mean very light i have been shooting lubricant in the walls and wiping away all the dirty lubricant but that only took about 8 or 10 swips with a fresh rags to get it clean i think I'll put it together and do the double mix like when breaking in a motor thanks for your help I'll keep you informed