HELP! Dog burning up lawn

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have 3 dogs, but 1 is leaving burn marks in my lawn where he urinates! He is a 3 year old Austrailian Shepherd, and his is the only urin of the 3 dogs doing this! I have noticed this problem the last couple of years, but only recently figured out it was him. I have been told to add a tablespoon of tomatoe juice to his drinking water. This makes no sense to me though, as I would think his urine must be acidic, and don't understand why you would add tomotoe juice, which is also acidic to help with this problem? Is it possible he has alkaline urine? If anybody has ever dealt with this problem, I would sure appreciate some incite, I am reseeding my lawn every year, and it still looks terrible by the end of summer! :confused:

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: HELP! Dog burning up lawn

I don't know about changing the chemical make-up of the dogs urine, but I did have the same problem a couple years back. Frisbee sized brown marks all over the place. My remedy was to train the dog to pee in the woods. That is about the only thing the stupid dog does right.<br /><br />You may want to ask Pat Campbell what he did, he had the same problem also :D

ob

Admiral

:D :D :D Aint you got no tree trunks or poles for that poor dog to pee on.I've got a 125 lb. ridgeback that kills the grass where he pees sometimes too.He's mostly an inside dog ,but thankfully does all of his business outside.Maybe you could hire someone to stand guard with a waterhose to dilute the grass with each time he pees,but beware that the sound of running water will make him pee more. :D :D

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Its the salt content of the urine that kills the grass.Some types of grass are more tolerent than others and some soils allow it to run down through it and some keep it right up top which kills the grass.If you see him doing it ,you can water down the area well or set sprinklers twice a day to rinse it out.I doubt there is a way to change the urine itself.Charlie

18rabbit

Captain

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br /> My remedy was to train the dog to pee in the woods.
So YOU are the one responsible for NH’s deforestation!!! We thought it was acid rain. :D

cjones4@hvc.rr.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try a little "Miracle Grow" in his food. ;) <br /><br /><br /> Or... let him kill the entire yard.. less grass to cut = more time to fish!

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmmmmm, lots of "witty" replies, has anyone ever heard of this? G Whiz Almost seems too simple to be true?

oddjob

Commander

Hello gentlemen,. this thread should probably be placed in the "non-boating technical" section. After JB sends ya holler for a member named Pat Cambell...he was having a similar problem and came here seeking advice. Maybe he has found a remedy.... :) ........................ :D ..................... :D ............ :rolleyes:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I'm glad this was brought up. My dog Keeper has one big area in the back yard where there is no weeds or grass. But I look at it this way "Less grass to mow"<br /><br />Thanks SBN, just ordered some to try out. Mainly for when we go to the lake. The grounds keepers at the park kept wondering why they had dead spots in the grass. So maybe this will prevent that. It is worth the try anyway. Thanks

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you Roscoe and SBN, you have been a great help!

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Australian Shepherd? Try Fosters in his dish.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Hey, looky there. Me and SBN recommended the same two products. <br /><br />Great minds DO think alike. :)