Help clear up a long time question!!!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Not exactly gonna save civilization but I always wanted to know. Went to use a new spray can of carpet cleaner this morning. I noticed again, as with many spray can products, that you are supposed to rotate the nozzle to line up with the little red dot on the rim of the can. Why??<br /><br />The can will spray with the nozzle in any position. I can't see a reason for it.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help clear up a long time question!!!

Originally posted by Kenneth Brown:<br /> Not a lot going on up there in Vancouver huh? :)
:D :D Actually KB the sun is shining here and I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to react.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Dose the spray coming out of the nozzle change if you spin the nozzle around? <br />Yes its a cold day here also.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by f_inscreenname:<br /> Dose the spray coming out of the nozzle change if you spin the nozzle around? <br />Yes its a cold day here also.
No, however some paint nozzles have rotating spray tips, but they have nothing to do with the relationship of the nozzle to the can itself.

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I always thought the mark had something to do with the pick-up tube inside the can being sort of bent to one edge of the can so you can get all the material out. If that is the reason then you wouldn't notice it until you were almost out of the material and had the nozzle pointed the wrong way (not at the mark). Of course I have never cut a can open to see if that was true.. :D

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Turn the nozzle towards your face and push the button.You will see exactly how the paint comes out.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by RetNav:<br /> I always thought the mark had something to do with the pick-up tube inside the can being sort of bent to one edge of the can so you can get all the material out. If that is the reason then you wouldn't notice it until you were almost out of the material and had the nozzle pointed the wrong way (not at the mark). Of course I have never cut a can open to see if that was true.. :D
I think that you have hit on the only logical reason. When they crimp the top cap on the can it has to have the pickup tube already attached. They would know before hand which way the tube bends and just mark the rim accordingly. <br /><br />Oh thanks RetNav, now I can get on with my day! :p

LubeDude

Admiral

RetNav has it nailed. You can use it to your advantage like when you are under a car and you want to spray upwards, put the dot towards you.<br /><br /> And you do have too much time on your hands Boomer. :p :p <br /><br />Its beautiful here on the Oregon coast also, about 75 outside right now And I have my forth cold of the winter. Yes, I have had four colds this year. Literally sick all winter.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Another thing I didn't know learned. Thanks for bringing it up Boomyal. That information may come in handy someday. But I did get to tell Mr. Bassy something he didn't know and I did. One for Bassy! Gotta take those when I can. Its cloudy here today. Not a bit of sunshine. <br />Bassy

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br /> RetNav has it nailed. You can use it to your advantage like when you are under a car and you want to spray upwards, put the dot towards you.<br /><br /> And you do have too much time on your hands Boomer. :p :p <br /><br />Its beautiful here on the Oregon coast also, about 75 outside right now And I have my forth cold of the winter. Yes, I have had four colds this year. Literally sick all winter.
'Dude, it may be time for you to move further north, like maybe Alaska. Our winter has just been to mild for you.<br /><br />I finally got into gear today, pressure washing years of dead mold out of the nooks and crannies of all of the ungaraged fleet.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Bassy:<br />But I did get to tell Mr. Bassy something he didn't know and I did. One for Bassy! Gotta take those when I can.
:D :D <br /><br />We have had the driest sunniest winter since I moved the the PNW in 1987. I'm glad you have the clouds Bassy. Please keep them a while longer. Unlike LubeDude, this sunny warm weather just lites up my So Cal genes. :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Though the bent pickup tube theory really makes sense, my theory is that they do it to force you to pay attention to the nozzle orientation so you don't just press it and spray yourself in the eye. :D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Though the bent pickup tube theory really makes sense, my theory is that they do it to force you to pay attention to the nozzle orientation so you don't just press it and spray yourself in the eye. :D
Well JB, intentional or not, it would sure do that. Then they could not say " they never told me how it was supposed to work. It's not my fault that I ruined my eye." :mad:

RetNav

Dang JB, you just can't leave a good theory alone... :D

RetNav

JB, I just thought of something else on the dot theory. I wouldn't be surprised to hear about someone having the mark pointed toward their face, aligning the nozzle as instructed and because of the instructions blasting themselves full on. I can hear their lawyer claiming his client simply followed instructions and look what happened.

fixin

I think it's just another right wing control thing. :p

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by RetNav:<br /> JB, I just thought of something else on the dot theory. I wouldn't be surprised to hear about someone having the mark pointed toward their face, aligning the nozzle as instructed and because of the instructions blasting themselves full on. I can hear their lawyer claiming his client simply followed instructions and look what happened.
Probably the same group of people who couldn't figure out what to do with their chads. ;) :p :D

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by JB:<br /> ... my theory is that they do it to force you to pay attention to the nozzle orientation so you don't just press it and spray yourself in the eye. :D
Geee... would we do that???? :confused: <br /><br /> :D