HELP!! cavitation plate???

Zenvalo

Seaman
Hello all! Fairly new to iBoats, but I know that you all are some of the best to ask about anything boating, so I hope you can help.

I have a '71 Sportwin 9.5 (not that important pertaining to my question)

It starts and runs great. I bought it with a piece broken off of the cavitation plate. (I think that's what it's called)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to fix it without replacing the lower unit housing or getting a piece welded. Basically I want to do it as cheap as possible.

Being a 9.5, do you think it really makes a big difference? Would it be a good idea to get aftermarket hydrofoil fins to go over the top of it, or would that cause too much drag being the motor is not very big to begin with? I've only found ones that seem to be for larger motors...

Any and all ideas and input would be greatly appreciated. as you can see below, I posted a picture of exactly what I'm referring to in case my writing isn't quite clear.

Thanks a lot!!!

~Zenvalo

DSCF2057.jpg

Last edited:

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: HELP!! cavitation plate???

I think the cheapest and best repair would be welding.
Take it to a welding shop and get an estimate, you may be surprised on the price.
I once snapped the tiller handle off of a 20 hp johnson right at the pivot joint which made for a rather tricky weld and the shop charged me 25 bucks.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i would talk to a couple of machine shops or welders and see what they would charge to fix it.

a hydrofoil will have one , possibly both on that one side, bolt hole missing due to the piece thats gone.

i paid $50 for mine and if i remember right the small eng ones are only about $10 or so cheaper.

if you have the other piece it would be dirt cheap.............. probably still be cheaper than a hydrofoil either way.

fixmyevinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would try it out on the boat and see if you can tell if there are any adverse affects. If not I would not worry about it. You may be able to make your own repair out of some aluminum or stainless steel and fasten it to the solid material behind the broken out area. Use the good side as a pattern and turn it over. That would probably be about as cheap as you could get.

Zenvalo

Seaman

Thanks for the replies!

I do not have the missing piece, so that's out of the question.

I got the motor with the piece already missing, so I'm not sure if it is causing any adverse affect or not as it's the first small motor I've had.

I was pondering patterning the other side and making a plate to go over.

I was also thinking about trying that "mighty putty" stuff. It's supposed to super ultra awesome for any and everything, but I have a feeling it would be a waste of money.

Anyone ever used it for anything that gets submersed?

I'll contact a welding shop shop though, I just assumed it would be quite expensive.

Any other comments or responses are always appreciated!!

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The break at that point will have little, or no effect. But! that break would bother me also. Welding would be the best way to go. Get someone who can weld aluminum. A poor welder can make that break look much worse.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Agree with the "dont matter" BUT it sounds like you're like me & it'll bug you to death :(
I'd put the smallest "Whale Tail" on it i could find :cool:
It will hide the defect & might even help planing & such :rolleyes:

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Don't put a whale tail on that small engine. It does'nt have the power to drag it thru the water. If you were to do that, you will see a difference. Just find a good welder. Just don't have one show you how good he can weld on your gearcase.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Don't put a whale tail on that small engine. It does'nt have the power to drag it thru the water. If you were to do that, you will see a difference. Just find a good welder. Just don't have one show you how good he can weld on your gearcase.

The only adverse effect it will have will be your feelings toward the matter. It will work just fine the way it is. The majic putties are fine in their place, but this is NOT one of them. It won't stay there five minutes.

Boblester40

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That will weld up fine, i would get a peice of 4-5 mm sheet ally and cut a new piece out yourself this will save alot of costs , weld top and botton and grind back and paint and it will be good as new, if you were in the UK I would do it for you no probs .

rgds
bob

Zenvalo

Seaman

Thanks again everybody! If you all think it doesn't have any adverse affect, I'll probably end up just leaving it. It does bug me though, visually more than anything lol!

Maybe when I have some cash to spare, then I'll bring to a shop.

You guys are great help! Enjoy your journeys on the water!!!