!!!!!!!!!help Boating Season Is Almost Here!!!!!!!!!

mwinchel

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Everyone i am new to the site so here goes. I have a early 70's model 1150 mercury (tower of power they say). I bought this boat/motor last season and used it all last summer even thow i had some problems. I crank it up at the dock and take off i am going down the lake for a min or 2 and the first decent size wave i hit it boggs down and cuts off. i then have to pulle dmy warm up lever up and crank it up. it does this a couple times untill it gets warm it seems like and then it runs fine. Once i sit for a while i have to go threw this again on the way back. Another thing is i will be going good and then i get greedy and want a little more so i give it some more and then it boggs down. The boat is it on is a 15 foot manatee trihaul i would think as small as this boat is it should be a rocket with this big motor. Please help i am trying to get it perfect for the uncoming season. I Have replaced the fuel line, diaframs, took the 3 carbs off and went threw all the jets, and replaced all the carb gaskets. thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: !!!!!!!!!help Boating Season Is Almost Here!!!!!!!!!

You might move this post to the merc forum.

It sounds like you are loosing spark, when you hit a wave. Check for faulty insulation or loose connections on the motor wiring harness. If that model has a distributor, make sure all the wires on the switchbox are clean tight and the insulation is intact. After that check the quick disconnect plug on the side of the motor. Contacts should be clean. sometimes wires will break inside the boat's harness.