Help/Advice required reference purchasing a Bayliner 205

AJ163

Seaman Apprentice
All,

I've recently been looking to upgrade from my little Fletcher OB runabout to something larger that could cope with me, the wife, 2 young kids and the odd friend or 2. I'm based out in Cyprus and the boat would be used on generally flat salt water for going from bay to bay and boarding, skiing and tubing. I store my current boat out of the water.

I've been looking around for a 2nd hand boat, 20 foot or so for around 20,000 Euros. Second hand boat examples here I've been looking at have included a 2005 Sea Ray 200 350 Mag Sel for around 27,000 Euro and a 2007 Maxum 1900 SR3 220 Hp for around 28,000 Euro (dealer prices).

However, I recently spotted a 2009 Bayliner 205 at a local dealer. Initially they quoted 34,800 Euros for it, but within an hour that had dropped to 27,800 Euros. (I'm entitled to purchase tax-free and this is a tax-free price). The spec is a 205 with the 4.3L MPI (believe 220 HP) on an Alpha 1 leg. It is fitted with the family pack, fibreglass liner, extended swim platform, bimini top, bow cover and main cover and comes on a folding tongue bed trailer.

This has left me with the following questions:

Firstly - I've wondered whether the 4.3 MPI would give a decent hole shot for this boat. This is the last one left at the dealers and he doesn't want to put it into the water (salt) to let me test it.

Second - Cyprus is now part of the European Union (EU) and the recession has bit hard and as its the end of 2009 could I knock the price down a bit further as I could pay cash. I have no idea what the dealer margine is though and I don't know what it costs to ship the boats from the factory to here.

Third - I've heard various comments about Bayliners being bottom of the groups food chain vs Sea Ray, etc, but this boat looked well built and put together (to my eyes at least lol). Are there any 205 owners out there who have been running them for a year or two now who can give their thoughts?​

Any advice/thoughts would be welcome

Thanks

AJ

Last edited:

AJ163

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Help/Advice required reference purchasing a Bayliner 205

lol check the dates Nybo - nothing on here so hence found BOC on google and tried there - and if read would note are cross-referred. Any useful comment?

NYBo

Admiral

A useful comment? Well, that's not my strong point, but I'll give it a try.:D

Most of the folks here (as well as over at the BOC) are on this side of The Pond, so we won't know as much about pricing of American boats as you do.

1. That's a fairly large and heavy boat for a 4.3, so it would need to be propped and loaded correctly for decent performance out of the hole. Trim tabs might be a good idea. How do you plan on using the boat? It should be okay for knee boards and tubes, but questionable for water-skiing, for example.

2. See above regarding price knowledge. However, you can ask. The worst that can happen is that your offer will be rejected.

3. There has been a lot of convergence in terms of quality and features, from what I've read, so Bayliner isn't quite the "bottom-feeder" it was once made out to be. ANY boat, new or used, may have issues. A fine-toothed comb approach is best when considering a purchase.

AJ163

Seaman Apprentice

All valid points - I've reached the conclusion I need to find a 205 owner and ask them about the engine direct - tried pm's on BOC but no joy. As it stands I'm being offered the Bayliner 205 with the 220 hp 4.3 MPI for 27000 euros and the Sea Ray 205 for 33,000 with the 260 HP 5 litre V8.

As for convergence I actually thought was basically the same boat, but different trim levels - but brochures say Bay has dead rise of 20 deg, whilst Sea ray is 18 deg. The Bay appears quite a bit lighter - and in terms of layout looked far nicer than the sea ray.

Time will tell

Cheers

spectrum

Cadet

i have a 2006 205 bayliner and it does great. the mpi does excellent with the acceleration. the 4.3 mpi has plenty of power. i have a friend that is 250# and i hear no complaints from him when i pull him . if you need more power than that you can always play with the prop pitch. :D i have no regrets with this boat.