HELP 90 amp fuse blowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mestey2004

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I am in the final stages of building my boat and I am hooking up the battery cables (ignition off) and it sparks (alot) and then when I go to crank her over it is dead. I check the 90 amp fuse and it is blown. I check all the connections and I find a loose ground on the alternator. Could this cause a short big enough to make the fuse blow? What else could be the problem. I followed the wiring diagrams to the "T". My engine is a 305 1999 with a carborator, thunderbolt iv ignition.<br /><br />thanks for any help!<br /><br />Mike

Walt T

Lieutenant
Re: HELP 90 amp fuse blowing

You have a direct short to ground somewhere.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Mike,That fuse is blowing when you connect the battery,not when you turn the key.It takes abit to blow a 90Amp fuse,and a loose ground won't do it.<br />Trace the positive cable to the starter,make sure no black wires are there.Trace the negative wire to the block connection,and make sure there are no red wires.Beyond that,make sure no red wire terminals are attached so that they touch the block,or ground wires.<br />DHP

Hunky Dory

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Loose ground on alternator? :confused: Automotive norm is to ground through mounts. My boat alternator is very automotive.<br /><br />Is that "ground cable" a large wire attached to a single insulated stud on the back of the alternator? On the Chevrolet alternators I'm familiar with, that is (lately a single wire connection) the charging wire -- other end goes to positive side of circuit. If you were touch or attach its connector to both the case and the stud it would give you the symptoms you cite. Dittos if you had a ground wire incorrectly attached to that terminal in tandem with the charge wire or if the insulator were missing or broken.<br /><br />I'm betting that the culprit is in or around the alternator. Few other wires could short ninety amps without beginning to wither. <br /><br />In the meantime, don't be tempted to short out that that fuse -- since you have capacity for more than 90 amps of short circuit current it would make a hot fire quickly... <br /><br />After checking the alternator connection, I'd isolate every circuit (remove connections or fuses until you can connect bat terminal without ANY sparks. Then reconnect circuits one at a time until you see sizzle at battery post -- that's the bad guy.<br /><br />Of course an ohm meter would work without blowing any fuses...

outboardguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you sure you didn't hook up the battery backward.Or charge it up backwards. That will cause the fuse to blow.Although I think it's probably somewhere else.

Bondo

Staff member

I followed the wiring diagrams to the "T".
I Don't Think So.................<br />You've got a Dead Short......<br />Take it apart,+ Start Over.....

mestey2004

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for everyones help, it turns out that the diagram for my alternator had the wires switched (ground going to positive and positive going to ground). I couldnt get another fuse to test this, but when I put it together I had to modify the factory terminals on the wiring harness so I could get them to fit on the terminals on the alt. I thought that was odd, but the wiring diagram confirmed it. The alternator is an old one so I guess this could account for the error. We'll see.<br /><br />Thanks again,<br />Mike

Bondo

Staff member

I hate to keep dumping Bad news on you,<br />But there's a Good Chance that your Alt. is now Blown......

Status
Not open for further replies.