Help - 1990 Evinrude 110HP Outboard.

simon_canada

Cadet
This friday I will be looking at a 1990 Doral Bowrider with a 110 Evinrude outboard on the back.<br /><br />The boat looks like a beauty, but want to make sure the engine is up to snuff as well!<br /><br />What I am curious to find out (as I am relatively new to boating - spent more of my time in the car world) is:<br /><br />a) What are the general specs for this engine - or where could I find them?<br /><br />b) What kind of compression should I expect from this upon testing?<br /><br />c) Any big things to look out for on this engine?(beside the obvious compression, oil check, physical condition, etc.)<br /><br />ANY HELP you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance for helping a real NEWBIE!!!<br /><br /> -- Simon

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Help - 1990 Evinrude 110HP Outboard.

The compression should be even across all cylinders, within about 10%. <br /><br />More important would be to get a test ride on this boat, if at all possible. Depending on how much you're thinking about paying, that seems like an essential.<br /><br />I wouldn't buy any boat that cost over about $2K without seeing it perform on the water. Without seeing the engine perform under load, it's pretty much impossible to say whether it's working right or not.<br /><br />On the water, it should start easily and perform smoothly through its entire range, plane the boat out smartly, and reach a very good speed. No missing or hesitating.<br /><br />The boat controls should all operate smoothly. The boat should not porpoise at high speed, and it should sit evenly on the water, with no listing to one side or the other. It should turn well in both directions.<br /><br />Good luck with your prospective purchase.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

compression should not be less than 100 psi and there should not be a bigger difference than 15 psi between the lowest and highest reading.<br /><br />take the boat out for a ride and when the motor is warmed up it shoul idle around 1100 rpm and when you put it in forward gear it should be around 750 rpm.<br /><br />open the trothle to wot and hophely she will run at least 5500 rpm.<br /><br />put your fingers on the cylinderhead and you should be able to hold it for aboput 3 sec before you have to pull back.<br /><br />ask him when was the last time the waterpump is replaced.<br /><br />i would ask him what tyoe of oil he used. and if he still runs the original vro i would replace the vro pump or start mixing the gas.<br /><br />check the lu for water in gearlube or metal shavings.<br /><br />other than that good luck<br /><br />reeldutch

simon_canada

Cadet

**EDIT: WOW these responses come fast!! - most questions in the rest of this post have been answered!!!**<br /><br />Thanks for the quick response!<br /><br />We will have the boat at our disposition for the entire weekend, and fully intend of giving it a full test-drive, water-ski test (a must) -> as our old 70HP Merc barely got me out of the water! (combo engine/boat). I also want to ensure that the compression is pretty much even, but am not sure what range to expect? 125?<br /><br />Does anyone have any specifics on this engine, or similar engines?<br /><br />Thanks sooo much for the info - keep it coming!

simon_canada

Cadet

reeldutch - thanks!<br /><br />This is a one-owner boat, maintained at the same marina, on the same small lake for the last 12 years. <br /><br />How often should the VRO pump be replaced (the boat is now 15!)<br /><br />How often should the water pump replaced?<br /><br /><br />You guys are awesome!!

reeldutch

Lieutenant

waterpump should be replaced say every other year.<br />some people wait longer some people change it every year.<br />but i would not let is go longer than 3 seasons.<br />also the t stats wich can be a pain in the b.. is the same as the waterpump i would do them anyway when you buy the boat just to make shure its done.<br /><br />the vro you should replace because they sooner or later will fail so after 15 years i would buy a new pump or start mixing the gas yourself.<br /><br />if the motor turns out ok and you take good care of it it will last you many years.<br /><br />the compression can be 125 but if its even on all cylinders say 105 go for it

simon_canada

Cadet

awesome stuff!<br /><br />Well - I will have all that checked this weekend, find out the full maintenance tips.<br /><br />You guys have been such a help!!<br /><br />Thanks!