Help- 140 Evinrude / cylinder head blown

Jim Robbins

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My 140 hp Evinrude 1982 V4 (E140TRLCNB) just started to make loud noise last night out on the lake, so I shut down / putt in with kicker motor.
My piston cylinder wall is cracked, piston is smashed too ...
The cylinder head covers have a lot of old saltwater residue powder from (1994-95 / thought it was all wash out well in freshwater)

I need a top end to fit my motor or a rebuilt top end ?
What hp size top end will fit (100, 120, ect.) ?
What years of top end will fit ? Evinrude and Johnson both?
What else can you tell me about the job that has to be done?

I mix my fuel properly, new plugs.
Any help would be great! Thank-you

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Help- 140 Evinrude / cylinder head blown

http://www.boatmotors.com/motorpart...state=fl&zip=33070&hp=140&disp=&disp2=3&cyl=4

Jim the link will take you to the iboats section where you can price a powerhead. Why your eng blew could be many reasons,That said,if you buy a rebuilt powerhead,you will use you existing electrical components,carbs,flywheel.plus,you do the work or pay someone to do it.As I see it,it will cost 2000 to 2600,you need to determine if your engine is in good enough shape to warrent a rebuilt powerhead,and survey the rest of the parts,are they dried out,cracked,corroded etc.Im willing to bet you can buy a good used engine ,about same hp,and pay much less,if you do be sure to check the compression and gear lube,ask when last impeller was done.Also,if you stay with evinrude or johnson,you controls,will plug right up as long as you dont buy something too new,you need to check compatability,but your probably safe up to 97.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Help- 140 Evinrude / cylinder head blown

i agree. watch ebay and craigslist, you may find a used powerhead or motor.