Helm leak

surphrat420

Seaman Apprentice
Ok I just acquired this fine craft with the hydraulic steering moving a 200hp merc. The Hynautic systems has a resiviour with the safty pressure valve on it remotely located at the stern. the steering was not working (the wheel whould just spin, no motor movment) So i found the Fill and purge instructions for a 3 hose pressurized system. the unit was pretty dry, so i filled it up. then i applied some pressure by means of the Tire valve, when it got to about 30 psi the helm started to leak the fluid (auto dextron tranny fluid) all over the helm, I pulled the wheel and it looks to be coming from the shaft that holds the wheel. My question is, Is this repairable? I belive its the "50"series helmp pump and have found a seal kit for it bout 30 bucks. I was going to get a merc book later but i dont think the steering will be covered. Do they make a Hynautic Book?<br /><br />thanks again for every ones looking and trying to help<br />I love this site<br />Surphrat

surphrat420

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Helm leak

PS looks like the entire helm has to come out and come apart from the back to replace the seals at the front of the shaft. It looks like there are a lot of small parts in the exploded diagram of the H-50 (bearings and such) Is this a common Fix or might I have more problems?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Helm leak

This isn't really an outboard engine problem, Surphrat.<br /><br />I think you will get a broader audience in the Boat forum.<br /><br />Going there.