Hello

Hello all, I am a new member here and just wanted to take the time to introduce myself, and to thank everyone here for this great resource. I have been around small aluminum boats all my life growing up in Minnesota. A few years ago, my wife and I decided that we just weren't making ends meet in MN anymore and planned our move to Alaska, a lifelong dream for the both of us. In 2008, we packed up our belongings and moved to Kodiak. After catching my first Halibut (80lbs) out of my 10' duck boat (40lbs) I decided a bigger boat was needed. After lots of saving and wheeling and dealing, I found a nice Grady White 200 Dolphin with a 2004 merc 200 outboard with 5 hours on the engine. It has been a great fair weather craft for buzzing around the many bays and islands in the area. I have a few minor repairs to do on the boat, that is how I found this forum. I wanted to thank all of you for being so active here with detailed write ups, how to's, tecnical expertise, and great pictures. I now am confident tackling any repairs that will come up. A special thanks to Oops for his 158 page thread documenting an extensive restoration/ customization, should be a great reference me. Thanks all, AA

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: Hello

Kodiak, WOW :eek:. Not just a move but a culture shock as well. I'm happy for you both now that you are living your dream.

As far as oops goes, we're pretty proud of his accomplishment and thank him for making the information available to everyone.;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome aboard, AA. :)

Jeep Man

Commander

Welcome aboard and chime in often. We know you will have plenty to contribute.I doubt that we have a lot of members from Kodiak.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Welcome AA!
I spent three years in Fairbanks and I'm now spoiled on fishing.

Pike fishing up by Manley Hot Springs...love those fresh water barracuda.
...And they probably still talk about my brother playing piano all night at the Manley Roadhouse.

We fished halibut out of Valdez. Pretty cool pulling in fish taller than me.
Between my roommate and I, we probably pulled in $600 worth of halibut.

I miss Alaska, welcome aboard!

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome aboard! Don't forget the iboats store when you need some parts for your projects.... they have excellent service!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am having a blast here, never thought I would be able to fish the salt for salmon and halibut, ice fish for rainbows, and deer hunt all in the same day! The winters here are so mild compared to back in MN, averaged about 40 degrees this year with way more rain than snow. Culture shock wore off pretty quickly, but I still get sticker shock almost daily. Food and fuel prices here are pretty high sometimes! I'd like to offer any members here a chance to fish Alaska. All you have to do is get here and buy a fishing license, I'll cover the rest. I have hosted several small groups of fishermen and they had the trip of a lifetime. Halibut, lingcod, rockfish, grey cod, all 5 species of Pacific salmon, and trout to excess. I am working on starting a charter service and can't take any payment until I'm licensed. Just looking for good references for my future business. Anyone interested?

Welcome aboard! Don't forget the iboats store when you need some parts for your projects.... they have excellent service!

I sure will. I have been putting together a list of things to order already. Just having this forum as a resource is worth ordering from iboats, even if the shipping costs me.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Funny...after posted in here, the neighbor kid strolled in. (10 year old)
He asked about a picture on the wall.
I told him that it was an aircraft that I flew up in Alaska.

He said a friend had told him that nobody lives in Alaska.
....and this kid's parents are teachers!:eek:

I schooled him.

He said a friend had told him that nobody lives in Alaska.
....and this kid's parents are teachers!:eek:

I schooled him.

Actually, we are the last family to be approved for permanent residency. Alaska isn't taking any more people in at this time. Visitors need to apply at least 6 months in advance;)...............bahahahahha

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Actually, we are the last family to be approved for permanent residency. Alaska isn't taking any more people in at this time. Visitors need to apply at least 6 months in advance;)...............bahahahahha

Wow! I only changed to Texas a couple of years ago. I guess I can't change it back now. I'm happy with Texas, though.

btw...paragraphs/return keys are your friend.:D

Welcome!