Hello Winter, goodbye $$$$

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It was confirmed today PG&E,(Pacific Gas and Electric), will raise their natural gas rates this winter, by 71%!!! We also call PG&E..."Pacific Gouge and Extort." In January, We will also be blessed with a 10% rise in electric rates.<br /><br />Then there is our health insurance...Our Aetna health insurance, for my wife and I, is going up 8.5% in December. We will now pay $956.00 a month, for the two of us. Fortunately I received a whopping 1% cost of living raise in April, this year. As many of you know, energy costs were removed from the cost of living/inflation index several years ago. :mad: <br /><br />All of this doesn't do much for my 9 1/2 year old, 60% pension. :( <br /><br />If I could afford the gas, I would drive to New Orleans and load up my van with "MRE's", so we won't starve this winter. :eek: <br /><br />...Bob in Calif...

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Hello Winter, goodbye $$$$

I know what you mean Bob, energy costs are kicking everyone's butt.<br /><br />Natural gas has skyrocketted, due to these stupid hurricanes. It will take a year to fix all the problems.<br /><br />Hopefully those CNG plants will come online soon so we can start importing more gas.<br /><br />Ken

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The saddest part of the story is that you need heat, in California.<br />Must be all that global warming.

mvaughn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Be thankful for the 1%, my co. did away with cost of living adjustments years ago... must be the bosses don't use gas or pay for insurance, thus do haven't realized it cost more to live?

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

color me crazy but these immediately came to mind.<br /><br />Does raising the prices reduce consumption that much so supply and demand meet ?<br /><br />Is the cost so great to import the resources that it warrants a 71% increase?<br /><br />Are they raising the price to help defray the costs of repairing the damage?<br /><br />Do they not have a realistic Contingency plan in place for natural disasters ?

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Kevin,<br />I think it is more a case of greed and blatant profiteering. Or according to the ruling party, it's free enterprise affected by supply and demand.<br /><br />As long as the current idiot in Washington DC is ruling the subjects, there will be no relief from the insatiable greed of the energy industry. And the entire government-for-sale ruling party seems incapable of realizing that the economy is tied closely to energy prices. The more it costs for energy the higher manufacturing costs are, the more it costs to transport goods to market, the more it costs to market those goods. And the manufacturers, transporters and retailers can/will only absorb so much of the elevated energy costs before they pass it on to the consumer. Welcome run-away inflation. At least until we have a change in administrations.<br /><br />I don't mean to highjack this thread or "troll." But this is my reality, from my corner of the world, in my community, in my home. I also don't want to sound partisan, as the democratic party would probably act the same way if the oil/gas industry had their cronies in high-level positions in a democratic administration. Long live the rich and well connected, God take pity on the common folk.

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class

dont worry , W promised alaska that they will be able to put through there gas pipeline as an election promise and he won that state alot on that statement and the fact that he said alaska will be open for reserve drilling....so im sure it will happen soon.....

don flowers

Seaman

My response to that statement would be, what is wrong with a pipeline that does not damage anything. They have proved that with the North Slope have they not? There are more caribou there now than before the pipeline that was suppost to destroy everything. You guys complain of the high cost of energy, well, if we can get more of our own crude, or CNG from Alaska maybe the cost of energy would drop. <br /><br />Again as before, what I hear are complaints but no suggestions as solutions. It is real easy to sit back and complain. My dad always told me to quit my Bit**ing unless I have a solution. Come up with a solution and then we will talk about it. Something my Grandmother taught me was "if you have nothing good to say about someone to say nothing." I can hear her now. <br /><br />There are some here that thrive on name calling and complaining without offering any suggestions on solutions. Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem. You know who you are!! Don

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

To mvaughn: That's why God made " Golden Parachutes" ;) ....JK