hello, merc question

badfish888

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, new to the forum. i have a 2001 angler eagle c/c with a 125 saltwater. when i aquired the boat. the audible alarm system did not work. I dont even get a the test alarm when i turn the key. Were should i start with this

thanks in advance

badfish888

Seaman Apprentice
Re: hello, merc question

soooo, ok does anyone know if the alarms are tied into the main wiring harness?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

soooo, ok does anyone know if the alarms are tied into the main wiring harness?

At one point or another -- yes! The module needs power in order to function. The temp sender on the engine is a snap switch that closes when the engine overheats. That puts a ground on the module and the horn sounds. So here are two tests:

1) Locate the temp sender on the engine. It has a tan wire going into it on the water cover.
2) Follow that wire to a bullet connector.
3) Disconnect the bullet connector.
4) Turn the key to RUN
5) Ground the tan wire (not the sender end -- the other end).
6) Since the horn doesn't sound during the key on self-test, it likely won't sound with the wire grounded but check anyway.
7) Check the input to the module for +12 volts. If it's present, replace the module.

badfish888

Seaman Apprentice

is there away to check and see if the horn is still good? like manually make it sound?

badfish888

Seaman Apprentice

well, between this and googleing, i found that my engine, doest not have a (check) beep when the key is turned, But i did as ^^ silvertip told me and manually grounded bolth sensors and got a continuous sounding horn with bolth, thanks for all the help