Hello, looking a buying first chrysler,1978 105hp

paul2112

Seaman
Looking a picking up a 78 105 chrysler , and was wondering what to look for in particular ? Compression is good 139 all around , still on boat so I can see it run. What up grades to ignition can I get,etc "?thanks to everyone's input,

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hello, looking a buying first chrysler,1978 105hp

The 105 was rated at the prop and in later years--1982 it was downrated to 90 HP. The 1978 should be a distributor ignition with an electric eye instead of points. It is a relatively trouble free ignition, however, with a little money and some work you can upgrade to a Prestolite or even Mercury ignition from later Force engines. Although, I really don't know why you would want to do so.

You can change manifolds and install the large TC carbs off a Force 125 and she may put out an honest 100 ponies.

If it is a two piece lower unit, finding props is becoming difficult. These props use a 5/16 inch diameter thrust pin held in place by the tail cone.

HOWEVER: IF the engine has Magna-Power II ignition RUN, don't walk away. Magna power II did not have a distributor and did not have CD boxes mounted on the side of the engine. Everything except the coils was mounted under the flywheel. It was a trouble prone system with a high failure rate.