Hello from Massachusetts

Smuggler's Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,

Another newbie here. A good friend of mine offered me his 1993 Sunbird Corsair 176 it has an inboard/outboard (chevy two?) with omc outdrive. I know he just had the interior redone, as well as a complete overhaul of the motor and new paint. He offered it to me with a couple sets of skis, tubes, and life jackets and a fairly new trailer. I think he may take $2500 for it from me. Just wondering what your thoughts were on this.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hello from Massachusetts

can't beat the price IF....

the engine and outdrive both check out.
And the floor, transom, and stringers are solid.

Welcome to iboats and Happy Boating.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Welcome aboard. Happy boating and enjoy the forum.:D:):D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Just wondering what your thoughts were on this.

Not too good. Sunbirds were absolute bottom of the line boats when new. The fact that the interior had to be redone concerns me as that would most likely indicate that it had been left out in the weather for some time. There's a really good chance that it has some waterlogged foam and wood rot below deck. I'd be checking the deck VERY carefully. ANY soft spots are usually indicative of big trouble. Also, OMC went out of business in the 90's and are no longer fully supported with parts and many mechanics won't work on them. I personally wouldn't buy one at all. $2500 is just an average price for a '93 17' boat. You'd be better off with something without an obsolete powerplant (Mercruiser or Volvo).

Bondo

Staff member

Also, OMC went out of business in the 90's and are no longer fully supported with parts and many mechanics won't work on them. I personally wouldn't buy one at all. $2500 is just an average price for a '93 17' boat. You'd be better off with something without an obsolete powerplant (Mercruiser or Volvo).

Ayuh,... I agree,....
A most likely rotten entry level boat with an Obsolete driveline, for Top dollar...

Keep lookin',... You can do Better....

Chris-R

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not too good. Sunbirds were absolute bottom of the line boats when new. The fact that the interior had to be redone concerns me as that would most likely indicate that it had been left out in the weather for some time. There's a really good chance that it has some waterlogged foam and wood rot below deck. I'd be checking the deck VERY carefully. ANY soft spots are usually indicative of big trouble. Also, OMC went out of business in the 90's and are no longer fully supported with parts and many mechanics won't work on them. I personally wouldn't buy one at all. $2500 is just an average price for a '93 17' boat. You'd be better off with something without an obsolete powerplant (Mercruiser or Volvo).

I agree

Smuggler's Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the honesty, I dont want to end up buying something that I cant fix or get get parts for. I have been down that road already with a couple of car restorations. I'm thinking I may hold out and keep looking. Again thanks for the welcome and the advice.

Smuggler's Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If any of you were getting into boating at this time what type of boat would you recommend? I did have a hydrostream for a while and was not really all that impressed. I know it all depends on what type of activities you are looking for. Just wondering what a good "all around" boat would be. If there is such a thing.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Based on nothin'......a deck boat.

l_32.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Just wondering what a good "all around" boat would be. If there is such a thing.

An aluminum boat with an open-bow layout is a good "all-purpose" boat. I like my 16' Starcraft and only paid 1k for it used. You can do much better than that for $2500 I agree with the previous posts.