Helicopter rescues

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
I dont mean to be critical and I think our militaryis doing a great job, but I keep seeing the helicopter rescues on TV and I am wondering why they do that.<br /><br />Helicoper rescues are very dangerous. All kinds of things can go wrong.<br /><br />Why not come back with a boat?<br /><br />Ken

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Helicopter rescues

because it makes good TV?<br /><br />I doubt that is the reason, perhaps they can't access any other way.....<br /><br />I agree 100% (from experience) that helo rescue is dangerous (and very expensive!) but sometimes its the only way.<br /><br />Then again it is good training for the guys and girls that are doing it........

KaGee

Admiral

A boat will have difficulty getting to some people on roofs of multi-level buildings.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

A couple of years ago here in Houston there was a minor flood. An 18 wheeler driver was stuck in an intersection.<br /><br />They used a helo to rescue him and whole time I kept thinking of WHY?<br /><br />There were power lines everywhere, trees, etc.<br /><br />He could have swam 100 ft in any direction and been on dry ground.<br /><br />Even the news crew said the Houston PD was displaying their new helo rescue equipment.<br /><br />If I had been that truck driver, I would have never got in the harness.<br /><br />Ken

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Am I right in thinking that there's only been one helo gone down so far during the rescue operation?<br /><br />The news on this side of the pond tends to be slow and is concentrating more on blaming GW (as usual).

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Yes, I think there has only been one gone down.<br /><br />Ken

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Thats good news: I'm amazed that they've kept the accident rate low: there are a heck of a lot of aircraft in that area, at least judging by the pictures we are being shown here.<br /><br />The other things that surprised me about the helo rescues being shown is some of the kit the guys are wearing? One of the repeated clips is of a US Coastguard winchman wearing what looks like a short legged/short sleeved wetsuit?<br />Doesn't seem to offer much protection?<br /><br />I'm also amazed that the troops and others are wading through the water at all: certainly without biohazard suits on?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> Even the news crew said the Houston PD was displaying their new helo rescue equipment.<br />
We're not citing the mainstream media as evidence now, are we? ;) jus kiddin<br /><br />Boating in a flooded city would be pretty hazardous, too...though I doubt the decision was based on a thorough comparitive risk analysis. Maybe it's a matter what equipment you have on hand.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Bro:<br />The news on this side of the pond tends to be slow and is concentrating more on blaming GW (as usual).
Yeah, I wanna know why the Queen hasn't come over to help her poor Colonist chirdren!

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

I thought we still had vehicles in the military that could go on water or land. Apparently that is not the case any more or they are elsewhere. Who knows. <br /> After 9-11 the first thing that came out was lack of communications. I expected comm. and a rolling stock of amphibious vehicles to come running down the road of New Orleans, Miississippi and Alabama but guess 4 years is too short a time to get it right. <br /> Hats off the the Coast Guard and other Helo's for at least doing something.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> Yeah, I wanna know why the Queen hasn't come over to help her poor Colonist chirdren!
Auntie Liz as she is known is currently deciding whether or not to reclaim the Americas as it seems her colonist children can't do a good job of running the place :p

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

A second helicopter crashed onto a rooftop yesterday, in N.O. I believe. Everyone walked away from it.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

its absolutly amazing no major air traffic incidents have occured. keep prying for a continued track record.<br />makes all the ground supports troops look good.<br /> those folks are working 24/7 to keep those birds fueled and flying.<br /> its a delicate dance they do. my uncle, capt terry uscg Ret says that you really dont fly a helo, ya beat the air into submission. :)

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by telmanmn:<br /> I thought we still had vehicles in the military that could go on water or land.
Yea, I thought early on that those old army "ducks" would be ideal. The only one I saw was one commandeered from a tourist concessionaire.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Some of those choppers are civilian volunteers also. I think the first chopper to crash was a civilian volunteer. And you're right, Rodbolt, those pilots and controllers (if there are any) are doing an outstanding job keeping those helos flying safely. Amazing to say the least.